Alternatives to Varnish

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
LuckyLuca
Barbel

Alternatives to Varnish

Post by LuckyLuca »

Evening Gents,

I am in the process of cleaning up and making usable a whole cane bankstick and landing net handle.
Is there an alternative to varnish to finish them off? The cane looks like it would be really well set of by a dull matt but deep finish like that of oil or wax.

Any thoughts on what to choose?
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Estaban

Re: Alternatives to Varnish

Post by Estaban »

I don't know if cane is porous enough to let the oil or wax soak in. Perhaps a matte finish varnish?

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Estaban wrote:I don't know if cane is porous enough to let the oil or wax soak in. Perhaps a matte finish varnish?
I'm hoping to keep the finish "lighter" if you know what I mean?
The outer layer of the cane has been removed so hopefully will take something on?

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

That might work then, warming the cane in the sun before putting on the finish might help it soak in too, but that's just a guess. I'm sure someone with more knowledge then I will have the answer.

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

LuckyLuca wrote:Evening Gents,

I am in the process of cleaning up and making usable a whole cane bankstick and landing net handle.
Is there an alternative to varnish to finish them off? The cane looks like it would be really well set of by a dull matt but deep finish like that of oil or wax.

I'm lead to believe that Jason White uses a lacquer on all of his refurbs ( not a varnish ). This takes much longer to dry completely but the end result is more durable . I don't know if he'd be prepared to divulge its formulation but he might let you have some if you ask him nicely ..

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Just a thought but have never used it myself on fishing items...something like, Linseed oil or Danish oil as used on outdoor wood/furniture. I myself use Sadolin on my house exterior woodwork to good effect and it does not peel. As I say it is just a thought. Reedling. :Hat:

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

A good suggestion from Reedling I think - what about a soak in linseed?
Jim

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Thanks guys, I will visit a DIY place and have a look at there furniture oils.
Hopefully pictures to follow?!?

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

The VFC wrote:A good suggestion from Reedling I think - what about a soak in linseed?
Jim
I'm given to understand that raw , and not boiled , linseed oil is preferable for cane rods etc . This should be applied in a thin coat , allowed to dry and then buffed with a soft cloth .

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

CWK wrote:
LuckyLuca wrote:Evening Gents,

I'm lead to believe that Jason White uses a lacquer on all of his refurbs ( not a varnish ). This takes much longer to dry completely but the end result is more durable . I don't know if he'd be prepared to divulge its formulation but he might let you have some if you ask him nicely ..
Jason indeed uses a laquer, and like most traditional anglers on here, happily tells you the entire process and even the brand name.
niceroach

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”