Bamboo or wooden float tubes

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Hannay
Perch

Re: Bamboo or wooden float tubes

Post by Hannay »

I would quite happily have one of these. The instrument roll that you showed on your website was an excellent idea. I purchased one a few months ago after seeing it and it works a treat. I'll just keep scouring those boot fairs.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There's two fellers selling bamboo float safes on eBay:

One is Arni, down in Devon whose offerings start at £18 and often go for just a tad more.

The other is Barney Gallop, over in Woolwich whose float safes are a bit...well actually a lot fancier and fetch £35 to £40.

Barney ( not his real name actually, it's Dave! ) has some on at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160924202705? ... 1436.l2649

Arni, must be busy in the workshop......

Hannay
Perch

Post by Hannay »

Cheers, Sir. Been made aware of Arni and his float tubes. I'm hoping he's very busy in the workshop! Thanks for the other link as well.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

I think Ashby's is made by the same chap who makes ours - he does sell on ebay occasionally! I have 3 of the bamboo float tubes in stock and 2 cherry wood beauties made by another craftsman.
Jim

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Oh - further to last - only 2 bamboo tubs in stock: one with brass fittings, one with alloy.

Hannay
Perch

Post by Hannay »

Thanks, Jim. Just looked again at your website and for the life of me can't think why I thought the one like Ashby has was sold out. Been a long day at work. Will show this to the good lady. Xmas is, after all, very near...

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I fully intend to use the one I have just finished making. I have previously been using a piece of plastic plumbing pipe for the job. It is not that bulky (certainly easier to carry about than a float box). It would fit in the pocket in the back of my fishing waistcoat if I was to use it and it fits easily in my creel. A lot safer than having loose floats rattling about in the creel or crushing them in a pocket.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Mine is maybe not as big as it looks. It's 1.25in in diameter, and it's 9.5in long (including stopper).

It happily holds 10 or 12 quills up to 7.5in long, and slips happily into an inside pocket.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Slightly larger than that, 10.75" x 1.5" x 1.75". Made that size (my plastic tube was about the same size as AC's) to accommodate some larger stillwater floats.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I carry mine in my creel or basket but use a canvas roll if fishing light.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”