Traditional Fishing Bags

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Davyr

Re: Traditional Fishing Bags

Post by Davyr »

Mr B wrote:I have always fancied a creel as well!... Like the idea of not getting your lunch squashed.
Isn't that what sandwich boxes - or, better still, sandwich tins - are for? :think:

My first tackle box was a sandwich tin from Woolies!

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Yes, I like the sound of a sandwich tin!......O no, I can feel an Ebay moment coming on!

My first tackle box was a St Julians tobacco tin, for my hooks, spinners, rubbers and shots. with a brown float case for my floats and disgorger.
As my tackle increased I used a small (Boys size) steel framed canvas rucksack.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mr B wrote:Yes, I like the sound of a sandwich tin!......O no, I can feel an Ebay moment coming on!

My first tackle box was a St Julians tobacco tin, for my hooks, spinners, rubbers and shots. with a brown float case for my floats and disgorger.
As my tackle increased I used a small (Boys size) steel framed canvas rucksack.
I love my OXO tin tackle box - not good for the tidy minded though!
like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/oxo-tin-/3209 ... 500wt_1414

and a swan vesta tobacco tin for smaller bits and bobs.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

well I picked this bag up in a charity shop for £2.50p

I took it for its first fishing trip by train yesterday.... (See my post Molesley) Its a funny kind of photo, but I thought it interesting..... going fishing by train!

It was a strange experience. I haven't done that for over 35 years. You get so used to loading up the car and heading out to the country side, driving passed sheep and cows and rolling hills. So London Bridge, Waterloo,Hampton Court, was so different, and the Olympic commuters!

Did I enjoy it..... Yes, because the whole experience was interesting and with waves of nostalgia. "There is more to fishing than catching fish"

Mr B Image

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

A nice looking bag.
I hope you bought it a ticket!

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

All I think of when I see pictures like that is that book 'a train to catch' which I must get soon. Great photo and something I must do one day , although return journey stinking of fish and stuff may not appeal to other passengers :chuckle:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Yes, you are right.... I just got one Eel 1 1/2 lbs. (A bit of a rarity these days! and returned it) It was funny because I had a load of Eel slime on my shirt and my landing net was full of the stuff despite me trying to rinse it out! Saying that there was a nice Thamesy smell on the train!

Yes, you should try it, made a nice change.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Yes just need to find suitable fishing destination near a railway station
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Yes, it was really nice on the train... Hampton Court is good because the fishing is only 5 mins from the station if you fish The river Mole exit.... good fishing there.
I used to fish the river Lee at Broxbourn by train, also the Eden in kent, traveling by train to Heaver.
There must be some really nice destinations, with some of the more picturesque rivers.... perhaps a new thread?

"Fishing by train, and some pleasant destinations?"

Mr B

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Sorry I meant to say....Love the Oxo Tin! I am going to keep my eye out for some old tins?

I also have a Golden Virginia Tabaco Tin with a nut and bolt through the middle of it that keeps the old lid on!

No I didn't get the bag a ticket, he came on as a pet!

Mr B

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”