Traditional Fishing Bags

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Mr B

Traditional Fishing Bags

Post by Mr B »

Sirs,

I am on the look out for a traditional fishing bag. Something that I can travel lightly with when I travel by train. (I like to do that now and then)

it will need to hold my lunch as well so nothing to small! I was thinking of an old type of Barbour bag?

Any suggestions?

Mr B

J.T
Catfish

Re: Traditional Fishing Bags

Post by J.T »

I can recomend Jack Pyke bags good sir. :hat:

I have this one - http://jackpyke.co.uk/index.php?act=vie ... ductId=355

They have that traditional look but are modern and tough with pleanty of room. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Yes... Thanks Just had a look at it... great bag, I like the bigger one, about £25. I was looking for something a little older...... Although, I could always kick it around the garden for a few days, sink it in my pond for a week, then hang it out to get rained on, then sun dried! (it will need to go with my fishing tackle, paint chipped of the reels, rods need varnishing, floats need re painting etc etc. But my lines good, and my hooks are sharp!)

Thanks J.T

Mr B

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

You are most welcome Mr B. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Oddly enough, the reason I recently bought my Jack Pyke bag (which, believe me, will soon have that "weathered" look) was the ridiculous prices that old - even "no name" - bags have been fetching on eBay of late.

Compare this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JACK-PYKE-Dog ... 561wt_1163

With this (a bag I bid on unsuccessfully recently):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251100322686? ... 500wt_1182

I think I ended up with the better deal!

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

What about one of these Mr B?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WITH-TAGS ... 1e704be27a

I've been eyeing one up for a while, this is very similar to my current Shakespeare bag which is due to disintigrate any day now. I will then either get one of these or the Jack Pyke number or at these prices why not both? I do however find the badge on the Hardwear bag rather unsightly so that will be getting picked off....

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Yes, I know exactly what you are saying about old bags.... can cost a bomb!

I have sent a question re the new bag on flebay.. are the straps or the bottom plastic?

Mr B..... Thanks Men

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

I have one of the Airflo bags and the straps and also the D rings are plastic. Its a well made, practical and inexpensive bag made to look traditional and at the price I think its good value, but if you are looking for a traditional bag made with traditional materials, this isn't it.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have a Brady Gelderburn which I use from time to time. I had a smaller Brady which I sold to an American lady as she wanted it for a handbag! They are superbly made but be prepared for a shock on the prices these days. Belingham camera bags might be worth a look as may some of the Hardy bags. The Belingham bags look like traditional fishing bags but are designed to hold a fair bit of kit. Perhaps a small creel might suit as I find things like lunch can get squashed in a bag and if you use a lunch box that takes up quite a bit of space.
Last edited by Beresford on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Thanks Men, all good stuff. The plastic straps are a little off putting, but as you said, its good for the price.
I have always fancied a creel as well!... Like the idea of not getting your lunch squashed.

The hunt goes on... Love shopping for fishing stuff though!

Mr B

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”