Francais Panier Plastique

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Francais Panier Plastique

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

ImageImageImageImage
Do you ever say to yourself 'why did I buy that'.This appeared on an auction site and I couldn't resist.An old French creel (1960's ?) made of soft plastic with adjustable shoulder strap and rudimentary latch.The makers mark says SYLA which is unfamiliar to me.Along the rear of the hinged lid is marked 0 to 30 in centimeters.I'm not a fly angler but it was only a ยฃiver and I had to have it.I shall use it as a holiday bag when we're strolling along Monaco seafront.TTFN ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

John Milford
Grayling

Re: Francais Panier Plastique

Post by John Milford »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: โ†‘Wed May 22, 2024 12:08 pm
Do you ever say to yourself 'why did I buy that'.
All the time Russell! (The walls and rafters of my garage are festooned with such curiosities). :Hahaha:

I saw the same basket, but in red, a few months ago. My finger was hovering over the 'buy' button, but my iron putty will somehow prevailed (this time). :whistle:
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

SYLA were responsible for things like those dire plastic shopping bags with a fake weave pattern that were fashionable among housewives in the 60s and 70s.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

John Milford wrote: โ†‘Wed May 22, 2024 12:20 pm
Russell Howard Brown wrote: โ†‘Wed May 22, 2024 12:08 pm
Do you ever say to yourself 'why did I buy that'.
All the time Russell! (The walls and rafters of my garage are festooned with such curiosities). :Hahaha:

I saw the same basket, but in red, a few months ago. My finger was hovering over the 'buy' button, but my iron putty will somehow prevailed (this time). :whistle:
Aha there are two of us !!! Funnily enough,whilst browsing through this months 'The Lancet' I found an article entitled 'Buy It Now Finger'.Apparently,neither counseling or prescribed medication have any effect.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Kev D wrote: โ†‘Wed May 22, 2024 12:50 pm SYLA were responsible for things like those dire plastic shopping bags with a fake weave pattern that were fashionable among housewives in the 60s and 70s.
Ha ha! I remember seeing those Kev. :Hahaha:

Probably fashionably kitsch these days, like stripey nylon folding garden (fishing) chairs, vintage Tupperware and retro cooler boxes. (De rigueur among VW Camper van owners, apparently).

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

John Milford wrote: โ†‘Wed May 22, 2024 2:02 pm
Kev D wrote: โ†‘Wed May 22, 2024 12:50 pm SYLA were responsible for things like those dire plastic shopping bags with a fake weave pattern that were fashionable among housewives in the 60s and 70s.

Probably fashionably kitsch these days, like stripey nylon folding garden (fishing) chairs, vintage Tupperware and retro cooler boxes. (De rigueur among VW Camper van owners, apparently).
๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ˜ ln my head l have it that Mum had a SYLA "beach bag " ,and either she or an acquaintance had an article similar to the plastic creel featured in this thread .
Except it was used as a needlework or knitting bag.

Tupperware; now there was a thing. Hard to believe that plastic bowls and tubs with clip-on lids were ever novel let alone objects of desire that inspired a new breed of entrepreneur known as The Tuppereare Lady . Along with The Avon Lady she hosted parties to promote her wares ,either at a client's house or her own .
Which I believe usually featured a pampas grass in the front garden......
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Kev D wrote: โ†‘Wed May 22, 2024 3:10 pm
John Milford wrote: โ†‘Wed May 22, 2024 2:02 pm

๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ˜ ln my head l have it that Mum had a SYLA "beach bag " ,and either she or an acquaintance had an article similar to the plastic creel featured in this thread .
Except it was used as a needlework or knitting bag.

Tupperware; now there was a thing. Hard to believe that plastic bowls and tubs with clip-on lids were ever novel let alone objects of desire that inspired a new breed of entrepreneur known as The Tuppereare Lady . Along with The Avon Lady she hosted parties to promote her wares ,either at a client's house or her own .
Which I believe usually featured a pampas grass in the front garden......
Indeed yes,the swinging 60's.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Tupperware made large and small craft/tackle boxes with multiple compartments and trays. I have three small and one large in various bags and seat boxes.

(Check out the 'bivvy table' too!) :Chuckle:

Standard Tupperware makes very handy dry bait containers too.

Last edited by John Milford on Wed May 22, 2024 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Iโ€™d have grabbed that in an instant for a fiver. So naff thatโ€™s itโ€™s cool and I can think of several very practical uses, especially when Iโ€™m lure fishing in the salty stuff.

Phil :Cool:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

John Milford wrote: โ†‘Wed May 22, 2024 4:48 pm Tupperware made large and small craft/tackle boxes with multiple compartments and trays. I have three small and one large in various bags bags and seat boxes.

(Check out the 'bivvy table' too!) :Chuckle:

Standard Tupperware makes very handy dry bait containers too.

My mum and dad were using one of those tin trays on legs as a tackle and bait waiter long before I saw the first bivvy or knew what a bait waiter was!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to โ€œOther Traditional Items of Tackleโ€