Fishing Rods & Tackle - Making and Mending

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Dave F
Grayling

Fishing Rods & Tackle - Making and Mending

Post by Dave F »

After treating myself to “Hooked on Floats” by Jeff Della Mura, I bought a copy of “Fishing Rods & Tackle - M and M” referred to in said book.
The book was published 100 years ago and covers near on all things rods, reels and accessories. I found the sections on floats of most interest.
What we call Naiad floats and Homers Floats are shown in detail and instructions for the making there of.

Inspired by the reading, I now have a winter project or two.

:fishing1:
:fish:
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Cane
Grayling

Re: Fishing Rods & Tackle - Making and Mending

Post by Cane »

Yes, it’s a very interesting book. Good luck with the floats. I found that the moulds kept getting stuck.
I wonder how many rods and reels were successfully made since it was published. It’d be interesting to find a reel made to the specifications in the book. This is a photo of a reel from the book.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

It would be interesting to see the instructions for making Naiads! It's one thing to follow instructions and it's entirely a new business of successfully completing them. To make my Naiads I had to start from scratch and experiment over a year or so with washing soda before I created a float that could reasonably be called a Naiad. Hence my interest in seeing how they were actually made. Most float makers come unstuck getting the quills off of the formers. I have posted a detailed explanation of how to do this and it's somewhere in the bowels of the float making section. But the main secret for success it's not to put the quills too tightly on the formers in the first place; you want them just tight enough to take the desired shape! If you process lot's of quills in one go then your sure to find some quills that fit better than others. Choose them!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

Santiago wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:35 pm It would be interesting to see the instructions for making Naiads! It's one thing to follow instructions and it's entirely a new business of successfully completing them. To make my Naiads I had to start from scratch and experiment over a year or so with washing soda before I created a float that could reasonably be called a Naiad. Hence my interest in seeing how they were actually made. Most float makers come unstuck getting the quills off of the formers. I have posted a detailed explanation of how to do this and it's somewhere in the bowels of the float making section. But the main secret for success it's not to put the quills too tightly on the formers in the first place; you want them just tight enough to take the desired shape! If you process lot's of quills in one go then your sure to find some quills that fit better than others. Choose them!
I’ve sent you a pm with a resume’ of the instructions. I hope you find them amusing to say the least. Making the floats would seem to be so very easy - I know that to be untrue. :readnews:
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers Dave. The method is interesting and differs to my own at a few steps. I might try adapting own method to see if the changes make any improvements.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Cane wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:30 pm Image
Yes, it’s a very interesting book. Good luck with the floats. I found that the moulds kept getting stuck.
I wonder how many rods and reels were successfully made since it was published. It’d be interesting to find a reel made to the specifications in the book. This is a photo of a reel from the book.

At 5 3/8” diameter, that is a fair-sized reel!
Was this meant for all-round fishing or perhaps just sea angling..?

If you would be kind enough to either post or PM the directions and dimensions for it, it shouldn’t be too difficult to make a scaled down version..
A very interesting book though.

Wm+ :Hat:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

ImageImage
For anyone who would find the process of interest, I attach the complete instructions from the book. Good luck.
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Watermole, I’ll add the information for making the reel asap
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

ImageImageImageImageImage
As promised. I look forward to hearing how it fishes.
Cane
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Many thanks for posting the drawings 'Cane'-
-also for the ones sent by PM.

I might have a go at this, but I think, scaled down from those sizes.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”