kennett

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Torridge Cane
Dace

kennett

Post by Torridge Cane »

i have a Kennett with about 10" of the top section missing ,brought from a junk shop like it , i think it's an early one ,judging by the amount of intermediates , one of my winter projects we all have ! long shot anyone have a top section that would fit , 58 1/2 length ,5/8 diameter ,ImageImageImageImageImageImage not sure of the tip diameter , any ideas ...cheers

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Re: kennett

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

You could get a new top section made, but I wouldn't know how expensive it would be.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:01 pm You could get a new top section made, but I wouldn't know how expensive it would be.

Thanks
BB
I have heard that Ryan Burns prices are very reasonable.Our very own Wallys-Cast(Dr Cane)may be able to help.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have and use a B.James Kennet Perfection and a very fine rod it is too. I would think it is well worth having a replacement top made and there are some good cane rod makers around who could do that for you. Must be worth getting a couple of quotes at least to see what sort of money is involved. You could even re-use the male ferrule providing it is a good fit.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:15 pm I have and use a B.James Kennet Perfection and a very fine rod it is too. I would think it is well worth having a replacement top made and there are some good cane rod makers around who could do that for you. Must be worth getting a couple of quotes at least to see what sort of money is involved. You could even re-use the male ferrule providing it is a good fit.
Ditto re the K.Perfection.I would hate to redo the inters though,there's over 200 of the blighters!

Torridge Cane
Dace

Post by Torridge Cane »

I've just emailed Ryan Burns the rod maker ,and tried Paul Cook ,see what happens , my go too rod is a Kennett Perfection love them , this one came from a junk shop , when l looked at it i did think Jesus that must have 3 times the intermediates of mine ,that's what makes me think it's an early one , dead straight when put together , if anyone knows a good maker , please let me know

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Torridge Cane wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:11 pm I've just emailed Ryan Burns the rod maker ,and tried Paul Cook ,see what happens , my go too rod is a Kennett Perfection love them , this one came from a junk shop , when l looked at it i did think Jesus that must have 3 times the intermediates of mine ,that's what makes me think it's an early one , dead straight when put together , if anyone knows a good maker , please let me know
You could try Andrew Davis who I think is James on this Forum a top quality rod builder.

I believe that a lady (someone on here will know her name) used to do very close intermediates on B.James rods whereas on later rods the intermediates were fewer and more generously spaced. I saw a B.James Avon years ago with very close intermediates and thought it was a refurb - just part of the learning process - I now know differently.

Torridge Cane
Dace

Post by Torridge Cane »

Ryan Burns got back to me , he can do a blank tip ,or a full restored one , just ask if he could do a sympathetic restoration of the hole rod, see what happens , might have to part with a rod to fund it !!!

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”