recent purchases

The ABU Reels forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

recent purchases

Post by Gilbert »

had some good fortune on an auction site recently.
first success was an excellent 44 eXpress for just £54 with very good paint and internals .still with the original grease by the look of it. a quick service and it sings very sweetly. these early Xs seem to be the best of the lot .
today i have won 2 cardinal 55s . one '79 and one '80. from separate sellers . £120 for the pair i couldn't say no. i have been after a couple of early ones for quite some time . these both are in excellent order - well i hope they are . yeh they will be - they're ABUs
i have one Mk IV and another rod of a similar ilk just waiting for the 55s . a bit of carping might be coming up.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Re: recent purchases

Post by Coral Maestro »

Good reels and sensible money.
I love the ABU 77 for heavier types of fishing such as hurling heavy swimfeeders when Barbel fishing.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I use the 77's for my carp fishing, cracking reels...👍😎
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too have a pair of 77s for heavy duty work - piking/carp. A couple of pairs of 66s for lighter fishing and a 44 for float fishing. All bought in the last 15 years. I have a pair of 155 which I bought years and years ago for tench fishing to go with 6-8lb line - tench were smaller then!
All of them are excellent reels with some serviced by BeechmereLake. :Hat:

I have also bought a few ABU multipliers over the years, mostly for lure fishing. Once I learnt to cast them, I really enjoy using them. :cheers:

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

i haven't done any proper carping for donkeys years ,but the 44s never seemed to be stressed by the bigger fish. i just thought that if i don't get a couple of 55s now i never will and 2 of the preferred (by me) vintage came up at the same time .
i must get a roll of Bacofoil- i still have a supply of bottle tops --and my secret bait recipe

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

6F8A695E-43EC-434A-A4ED-7216DEEAF830.jpeg
Picked up a bargain Zebco Cardinal 66 in very nice condition to match up with my Abu 66 .
Both reels (1976 models ) are identical apart from the name badge but, the Zebco was considerably cheaper .
Just needs a strip down and lube before the new season when it’ll be pressed into service , with its soul mate, for barbel.
I’m gonna try fishing ‘baitrunner’ mode…. I.e clutch fully loosened off until I hopefully get a ‘four foot twitch’
We’ll see how it goes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “ABU Reels”