The avocet

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Martin
Stickleback

Re: The avocet

Post by Martin »

Would I be correct in saying was an early model when would this date from is there a following for this what are they like to fish with not sure that I would do this rod justice as coming back from 20 year break

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

This would be very sought after and a very fine rod but it would be helpful if you could post better photos of the mid and top sections.

To my untrained eye, my fear is that the tip section, and perhaps even mid section, may have lost some length.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Welcome to the forum Martin, one of the best run fishing sites on the internet :Hat:

There is a vast fund of knowledge amongst the members who are mostly happy to pass this hard won information to others for free.

With regard to your Avocet do you intend to use it, wrap it in cotton and take it out to show others to drool over or sell it.

Hopefully it will be the former as there is something strangely delightful about using old rods. It is not something truly tangible but the resulting happiness should a fish actually throw itself on your line is quantifiable....off the scale!

What this Fat Old Fool is trying to say is, the fish don't care about the minutiae/condition of the tackle used but so important amongst collectors. So long as the rod is functional and does what it is designed for, that is all that should really matter, with the obvious pleasure derived from using such venerable equipment.

Hopefully you will see the sense and veracity of the words above, with little concern for the rest of the excess viewpoint expressed by some collectors.

Simply enjoy using the rod.....cane is great!

As ever,.....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Its very hard to tell from the photos but the mid and tip sections look like they could be from another rod.

I am not a big fan of the Avocet, they seem heavy compared to some other Wizard type rods but they do have a big following so its well worth restoring and looking after.

Wal.

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

Martin,
I have a similar rod to yours, it has an Ealing label, a 24" long handle and an onion shaped handle end (like yours?) - mine is a user rod.

I've just sent you a PM with some photos of mine so that you can compare lengths etc with yours.

If your rod was mine I'd use it before making any decisions as to what to do with it.

Best Regards,
Geoff

Martin
Stickleback

Post by Martin »

Thank you all for the advice will upload better photos for you to see and have look as to using it am not sure at min have been given quite few rods along with thes e on top of what I already have and my boy has now taken on so I may part with it so it gets used by someone that appreciates it and let my son get the other bits he needs

Martin
Stickleback

Post by Martin »

Hi have measured rod comes in at 11 foot 3 and half when held together ther is cm difference if all stood on floor together in height of the butt to middle and tip but seem original to untrained eye and all the eyes ate matching only bit of damage that can see is one of ferrules is split which I imagine could be braised for originally or replaced have tried to add photos that show base and writing as requested
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

that is a very desirable bit of kit . have a reputable builder replace that ferrule and then take great care of it (and use it)

it's natural habitat is a nice river . hopefully you have one nearby . find a nice (expensive) centrepin and catch some fish

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”