another Suredale refurb

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

another Suredale refurb

Post by Gilbert »

i bought this Suredale a few weeks back. 'ummed and Aaaahd a bit whether to use silk or nylon. the numbers on the butt and middle match --but not the un numbered tip. dunno what it is but the ferrule is a perfect fit .the rod has had a part rebuild at some time in it's life but luckily some of the original wraps survived which gave me the original colours
I have ordered a new tip which i should get in the Autumn so it's gonna have 2 tips but it will never be original, so nylon got the vote .

the wraps were red and black when i got my hands on it ---errr no they weren't. archeology showed the wraps were originally Fuchsia and Royal Blue . having bought some Fuchsia that was wrong as well . Ruby and Royal Blue is what it was ---and will be again , but in grade "A".

Aspindales never seemed to worry much about handle shape . the top few corks were a bit crumbly and were never gonna look well, so i got rid of them and replaced them with a very sedate trumpet which feels great in the hand . the button is serviceable (and original) , but brown and a bit perished , so a new red one was ordered and looks much better . i will keep the old one . the ferrules are all good.

got rid of the old varnish which resembled something from Tate and Lyle . took out the small set in the tip , found a nice hi bell butt ring , took away as much old varnish from the script as i dared and gave that a light flat off with some spit and 1000 grit .
i then measured the ring spacings and the same for the inters . the rings were all good apart from the butt ring so that was a bonus.plus the correct pink agate tip - an even bigger bonus . that will be kept for the new tip, and a screw tip fitted to the existing slightly short tip.

the wrapping is coming on pretty well, the butt and the middle are ready for varnish , i use CP followed by a single Humbrol QD varnish , which unusually has darkened the blue a tad . no worries , that is probably how it looked when it left Redditch. rings and inters all back in their original places
varnish the butt tomorrow and furnish the top while the butt is drying . finish by the weekend? well maybe . here is how i received it .pics of the finished job will follow
ImageImagey

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: another Suredale refurb

Post by Tengisgol »

Out of interest, who is making the new tip for you (and presumably with a matching male ferrule)? Feel free to PM if you’d rather not publish. Thanks in anticipation.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

hi Tengisol

Ryan Burns plus 1F & 2 M ferrule

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've owned a few Suredales and they were all whipped in two colours and had white butt caps...as far as I know the only rods they did like that.

One was red tipped in green the other pale orange tipped in red.

Very fine tip sections or at 12 feet they would have been unwieldy.

I also had one that had a broken tip making it only 11'3" and it was actually a really good sort of stepped-up float rod that took some huge trout at Barton Court.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Hi Nobby

they did use colours other than white for butt caps ...........i think.......... AFAIK the one on it is original , i could of course be wrong ,but it is something that i can change if a white one turns up.
i have done the wraps with double tippets in the original colours (as near as i could) and everything has gone back in the correct place apart from small adjustments where the original spacings for the inters were not quite even.
i think no two rods were exactly alike . i have seen several different pics all of which have detail differences with the spacing of the inters and script.
i am disappointed having the wrong tip (it ain't an Aspindale !) but if you buy from the net you know you are taking a risk .i lay no blame with the seller . he would not have known. but it will have it's uses and i don't have too long to wait for a new one .
i will admit to being pleased with the butt and the middle section , both now in varnish . the tip has just aquired it's rings .around 35 tippets to go now

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

had a bit of a surprise today , checked my Email and Ryan has made the tip for me .- i was expecting a 10 week wait . how is that for service ?"!

so - the rod will be complete in a couple of weeks . i will take a break next week. around 100 inters and double tipped wraps is quite enough in one go.

G

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Imagea couple ofImage pics of the semi completed rod with the short tip - i will put a few more on the gallery page later -

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”