Dubbing?

General fly fishing chat area.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Dubbing?

Post by Santiago »

Use a fabric dye (from Dylon, wool dye) the colour of your choice. The addition of salt to the water at the right stage fixes the dye into the fur (keratin). Justin follow the instructions on the packet!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Keep an eye open for an old mounted fox head at car boot sales and save yourself the trouble of dyeing. You should be able to pick one up for tuppence.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I've tried using dylon in various colours now and then over a 40 period and without exception, I have failed to dye anything. Following the instructions doesn't help me.

I blend different shades of wool to get the desired colour, it looks better than a solid uniform block of colour.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Do you have a cat? Are you any good at catching neighbour's cats? I used to have a tabby that produced some wonderful dubbing material in many different shades and mixtures :Wink:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:56 pm I've tried using dylon in various colours now and then over a 40 period and without exception, I have failed to dye anything. Following the instructions doesn't help me.

I blend different shades of wool to get the desired colour, it looks better than a solid uniform block of colour.
What did you try to dye? Can't think why it wouldn't work unless you were using it on man made fabrics. I've only tried it on bird quills and it works very well. Both wool and quills are made from keratin so it should work on wool, especially as it's designed for wool; unless you used a different Dylon product.

Although it might not work if you didn't degrease your materials first!

Hemingway

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Santiago,

I've tried it on a jacket, feathers, fur and fly lines. I've used the little metal tubs from Dylon. I tried it on a shirt, straight from the washing machine, no sign of a colour change. I've given up trying :-)

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:18 pm Santiago,

I've tried it on a jacket, feathers, fur and fly lines. I've used the little metal tubs from Dylon. I tried it on a shirt, straight from the washing machine, no sign of a colour change. I've given up trying :-)
I use the powder sachets and with this product you have to add salt after staining to fix the colour. I have some white bucktail and feathers etc. so I'll try it on them and get back to you!

Hemingway

Return to “General Fly Chat”