Milward's Troutcraft

The Milwards Rods forum.
Scott
Tench

Milward's Troutcraft

Post by Scott »

Chaps,

I've got my eye on a Milward's Troutcraft S.F.R. 8'6 fly rod on the bay. The tip section appears to be quite a few inches longer than the butt section. Is this normal? I know some Scotties were made like this and came with an extention bit to make both sections equal lengths in the bag. Also, just out of curiosity, what does the S.F.R. stand for?

Any info would be much appreciated,

Cheers
Scott

Davyr

Re: Milward's Troutcraft

Post by Davyr »

scott wrote: Also, just out of curiosity, what does the S.F.R. stand for?
"Splitcane Fly Rod", at a guess?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ha ha.....it stands for Staggered Ferrule Rod :hahaha:

This means that all sections are not the same length. In fact there should be an extra-long ferrule stopper to make all sections equal when in the bag.

A popular thing with Milwards, I don't recall any other maker doing it....except Edward Sealey after Milward went under and their advisor Terry Thomas moved to Sealey!

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Cheers for that Nobby. Felt a bit daft when I read davyr's answer, thinking "of course it's splicane fly rod", feel even dafter now...

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I only found out because a pal gave me a scan of a '56 Milwards catalogue. Usually written on the rod in white...don't know how they did that....

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

scott wrote:Cheers for that Nobby. Felt a bit daft when I read davyr's answer, thinking "of course it's splicane fly rod", feel even dafter now...
Not as daft as I do! :chuckle:

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”