Wallis casting as lockdown skill

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Wallis casting as lockdown skill

Post by Pallenpool »

Trying to determine the flight and positioning of the end tackle was really a huge trial and error process - but as I progressed it became apparent that the amount of force or pull on the drum coupled with the as one movement of the rod allowed one to bring the rod inline with where I wanted to pinpoint my bait. I found this can be done with whatever method I employed. The issue always arises of an inaccurate cast due to panic, to much force placed on the drum or too little and or not bringing the rod into line with the correct trajectory path and obviously the checking on the drum upon completion. The pendulum cast is not one recommend for ultimate accuracy but it does allow the end tackle to travel further if accuracy is not paramount.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

That BC swing cast looks great, I wish I had a bigger lawn , I'm fed up with gardening and decorating most jobs done now but tying lots of flies and becoming an alcoholic to boot

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

I may have imagined this but a few days ago on a different Forum, someone posted a photograph of what I think was the first ever edition of Angling Times ... decades and decades and decades ago - very early 1950s maybe ? They had kept it all these years as a treasured possession. One of the front page articles had a headline ... "Should Fixed Spool Reels Be Banned". Funny how times change ....

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I've really given this a hammering and it's paying off.
Using a carp rod pointing in the direction of travel and a 1oz weight I am now hitting very nearly 27 yds (just about 25 metres).
I'll be in the bush at the end of the garden in the few days at this rate.
Previously I could do 13-14 metres max with a Nottingham cast so if I can replicate this on the water it'll make a massive difference.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

This is something that has bugged me for a few years, I have tried hard at it but I rarely get one cast right in a hundred, one thing that may be limiting my progress, is the fact that all my pins have the line exiting the top of the spool, whether this has a bearing on my ability to Wallis cast or the fact I'm a numpty at it in general is a moot point, as I have given up trying and use my center pins for close in work (up to about 15 yards) I pull line off the spool and lay it on the floor, and then a gentle underarm swing usually puts it where I want it (mostly without tangles)

Much as I'd love to master the Wallis cast, I feel that at nearly 62 its a tad late in the day to worry about.... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Aitch wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:10 pm This is something that has bugged me for a few years, I have tried hard at it but I rarely get one cast right in a hundred, one thing that may be limiting my progress, is the fact that all my pins have the line exiting the top of the spool, whether this has a bearing on my ability to Wallis cast or the fact I'm a numpty at it in general is a moot point, as I have given up trying and use my center pins for close in work (up to about 15 yards) I pull line off the spool and lay it on the floor, and then a gentle underarm swing usually puts it where I want it (mostly without tangles)

Much as I'd love to master the Wallis cast, I feel that at nearly 62 its a tad late in the day to worry about.... :Hat:
If you watch the Martin Porter video near the start of this thread he has the line coming off the top of his reel.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I've always had no problem Wallis casting a ledgered weight, but struggle with casting a float in the same way. I usually revert to a Nottingham cast when trotting or lake float fishing.
Russ

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Luga00 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:36 pm I've always had no problem Wallis casting a ledgered weight, but struggle with casting a float in the same way. I usually revert to a Nottingham cast when trotting or lake float fishing.
Russ
Yes I found that too Russ. A weight of around 1/2 ounce or more gives the rod a bit of loading and helps greatly. I think a very light float with little shot needs a very light actioned rod.

I believe it was John Wilson who came up with the idea of fitting an extra butt ring close to the original one which gave the angler the opportunity of adding another loop for extra distance when needed. It does work but it's not seen very often these days.

Wal.

Wal.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

It is best to use bunched shot when casting a float this way. If you string the shot out it doesn't go as far. Also, if you have a depth of more than 4 feet it gets tricky so I use a sliding float for greater depths.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Barbulus wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:51 am I may have imagined this but a few days ago on a different Forum, someone posted a photograph of what I think was the first ever edition of Angling Times ... decades and decades and decades ago - very early 1950s maybe ? They had kept it all these years as a treasured possession. One of the front page articles had a headline ... "Should Fixed Spool Reels Be Banned". Funny how times change ....
Here it is, Its a bit like the old "catching carp off the surface is cheating".

ImageImage

Return to “Wallis Casting”