Another Auction Purchase

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
John Harding
Rudd

Another Auction Purchase

Post by John Harding »

Good evening everyone,

I paid another visit to the auction room last week to an antique sale that had a few angling lots included, I managed to buy four lots. One in particular I am quite pleased with, it was a very large bundle of assorted rods and bits and pieces, it was estimated in the catalogue at £100-£200 but I managed to buy it for £35 + commission. When I got home and sorted the bundle out I had three cane fly rods, one had been named by the previouse owner as The Lapwing, one was named The Colonel which I think may be an Allcocks, but I'm not sure of that, five fibre glass fly rods, one carbon :shocked: fly rod, four sea fishing rods, a Sealey Black Arrow float rod in nice condition, a short cane handled trout landing net and variouse bits and pieces that may come in useful. Oh ! and a very nice beech thumb stick.

I have though (in my opinion) saved the best until last, there was a Hardy canvas rod bag which was tied up, I untied it expecting to find either a Hardy fly rod or maybe a spinning rod, but no, to my surprize and delight out came a two piece James Aspindale rod named The Tweedale. From tip to butt it measures 8ft 2", it looks to me to be a spinning rod, but maybe someone will be able to confirm that. It also looks to me that it could possibly double up as a nice short ledger rod as it is quite sturdy and should handle medium sized specimens (if I ever catch any).

Pictures below, Regards, John

MGs
Pike

Re: Another Auction Purchase

Post by MGs »

What a cracking group of rods for next to nothing, well done
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

You brought them all home in a bag marked "SWAG" I take it, Sir !!! Well done.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

Yes Mal, that's what it felt like, in fact I almost felt guilty, for about two seconds.

John

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Very well done sir, you can take off the mask and the striped jersey now :Cool: :Hat: :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Well done that man
Looks like the rod could be a salmon spinning rod if so it will make a good stalking rod :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have a Speydale salmon spinning rod at 9ft! But I don't know which of the two is more powerful. The Speydale must be about 3lb t/c - a real beasty! It was/is going to be a carp stalker/salmon spinning/pike rod when refurbished.

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

Olly, thanks for that, I'm not very good at estimating test curves but at a rough estimate maybe this one is about 2.5 lbs, fortunately it is in more or less ready to use condition.

Regards, John.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Yet another terrific purchase by a TFF member, it just goes to show that if you put the time, and leg work in, you do not have to spend an arm and a leg to obtain some really nice, useful, and useable Traditional tackle. Well done John Harding, I am really pleased for you...and just a little bit.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”