How much lead?

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Santiago
Wild Carp

How much lead?

Post by Santiago »

Hi, I still consider my self a novice barbel angler and this coming season will only be my third where I have targetted this species. My PB is 13lb2, and have managed to catch 7 thames barbel in an evening session but would like to improve these figures because I know there are many more and bigger barbel out there. Thus, I'm looking fo advice on how much lead to use for barbel fishing on a Thames backwater in a certain swim!

The barbel are mainly found under the opposite bank that to cast to is some 50', and the depth there is about 11-12' and the current in the summer is moderate. More modern books that I've read on general barbel fishing appear to recommend using just enought lead to keep bottom and I've tried this but most of the bites are finniky with alot of line bites. An older book, The Fishing Handbook, recommends using a heavy free running lead so bites register with more of a pull around. In your humble opinions, what weight of lead would you use/recommend?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: How much lead?

Post by Bob Brookes »

Hi Bigfish,
When I fish the Trent I often fish the far bank & have to use 3, 4 or even 5oz with the rod held high. I still get the end tackle moving if passing weed catches the line. In the summer months there are passing boats so I have to reel in & recast.

The solution:-
I now still use 3oz but after casting, quickly clip on a backlead. This pins the line down below most passing weed & all hulls. And, trust me, you still get proper bites from either barbel, carp or chub.

Try it, it seems wrong in flowing water, but it really works.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Bigfish wrote:Hi, I still consider my self a novice barbel angler and this coming season will only be my third where I have targetted this species. My PB is 13lb2, and have managed to catch 7 thames barbel in an evening session but would like to improve these figures because I know there are many more and bigger barbel out there. Thus, I'm looking fo advice on how much lead to use for barbel fishing on a Thames backwater in a certain swim!

The barbel are mainly found under the opposite bank that to cast to is some 50', and the depth there is about 11-12' and the current in the summer is moderate. More modern books that I've read on general barbel fishing appear to recommend using just enought lead to keep bottom and I've tried this but most of the bites are finniky with alot of line bites. An older book, The Fishing Handbook, recommends using a heavy free running lead so bites register with more of a pull around. In your humble opinions, what weight of lead would you use/recommend?
A novice barbeler with a 13+ as a pb is pretty good - well done. I've been barbel fishing for nearly 20 years and haven't yet broken 12lbs.
I tend to fish with minimal weight. If you use a heavier running lead and tight line you are in effect fishing a bolt rig so the fish will spook once they hit the resistance and then hook themselves and you'll get a mighty pull around. You could try casting out with enough lead to just hold bottom but allow a large bow to form in the line by letting the current pull it off down stream. This can be very effective. I am a big fan of touch ledgering for barbel and fish minimal lead (usually just SSGs with one further up the line to keep in on the bottom) then keep the rod low and tighten up on to the shot and with the rod pointed directly at the lead feel for bites with my left hand. If I get get a tentative pluck I often feed of some line to encourage confidence. This method also allows you to move the bait around whilst still remaining in contact.
If I were you I would just experiment.
I like this technique too http://youtu.be/o73cnQAl-zs
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Snape wrote:
Bigfish wrote:Hi, I still consider my self a novice barbel angler and this coming season will only be my third where I have targetted this species. My PB is 13lb2, and have managed to catch 7 thames barbel in an evening session but would like to improve these figures because I know there are many more and bigger barbel out there. Thus, I'm looking fo advice on how much lead to use for barbel fishing on a Thames backwater in a certain swim!

A novice barbeler with a 13+ as a pb is pretty good - well done. I've been barbel fishing for nearly 20 years and haven't yet broken 12lbs.
I tend to fish with minimal weight. If you use a heavier running lead and tight line you are in effect fishing a bolt rig so the fish will spook once they hit the resistance and then hook themselves and you'll get a mighty pull around. You could try casting out with enough lead to just hold bottom but allow a large bow to form in the line by letting the current pull it off down stream. This can be very effective. I am a big fan of touch ledgering for barbel and fish minimal lead (usually just SSGs with one further up the line to keep in on the bottom) then keep the rod low and tighten up on to the shot and with the rod pointed directly at the lead feel for bites with my left hand. If I get get a tentative pluck I often feed of some line to encourage confidence. This method also allows you to move the bait around whilst still remaining in contact.
If I were you I would just experiment.
I like this technique too http://youtu.be/o73cnQAl-zs
I'm very much with most of Snapes reply above. Also, for some years now, I have used much longer hooklengths - 4-5' of either Incognito or Drennan sinkbraid - depending where I'm fishing. in my opinion this set up puts a lot more fish on the bank. The finicky bites that you mention Bigfish may well be chub, congratulations on your 13.2, I caught my first double, 10.4, in 1974 on minnow livebait and have only managed to up it to 14.10.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks for the advice chaps. So far two of you recommend the modern approach of just enought lead touch legering, and one with a heavy lead. I find it interesting that in the Fishermans Handbook (pub 1978) they descibe exactly the finiky bites I get when using just enought lead to hold bottom, and recommend increasing the weight to put increase catch rate. Perhaps I'll experiment.

When my son first tried to catch barbel he had two doubles in his first session within the first 3 hours! So I think it's all about location and then being there at the right time. Perhaps the skill in catching a double is mainly in the playing of the fish. In 2010 I caught a 12lb8 Thames barbel on a bog standard feeder rod( Diawa 11' Vulcan), after fighting with the fish for what might have been 5 minutes all I could do was to react to its many repeated lunges for freedom, i.e I did not feel in control and sat down and held the rod up (doubled over) wondering what the heck I had hooked and whether or not I would see the fish before it snapped my line or rod. But I knew the drag was set nicely and after the first two lunges the fish was well away from snags! So I just waited the fight out, only reacting because I knew my tackle was not up to bullying the fish to the net!

Hemingway

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Bigfish have you tried striking on the finicky bites? You may be surprised.
Are these fish under much angling pressure? Barbel have even been observed to pick up a bait and gently move backwards as if feeling for resistance. Maybe try a heavier lead or fish a tight line with light lead to get the bolt effect then experiment with hooklengths. Maybe a longer hook length but tight line will encourage confidence then they move off, hit the tight line and you'll get a wrap around bite.
If I don't touch ledger that is my preferred method and as the line is tight it doesn't need a big lead (I never go over 1oz and often use 1/2 oz max) then tight line acts as if it was a fixed heavy lead.
Have you tried rolling baits through the swim?
How much feed do you use? If the fish are pressured maybe try putting in a good carpet of feed (hemp or pellets etc) using a bait dropper then fish the bait a few yards or further downstream of the carpet as the small fish and chub will pile onto the feed but the bigger, wary fish will sit downstream and pick off food particles as they wash downstream. Again this can be very effective.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

A good article about fishing with a bow of slack http://www.moonstrike.co.uk/feederfishing.html
and the idea of fishing downstream of the feed http://www.moonstrike.co.uk/one-rod-or-two.html

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Regarding touch ledgering, on the days when the barbel really aren’t having it I fish with an open bailarm pointing the rod at the bait.The way I usually see it is, as the bite develops, the barbel will be pulling line from the spool sometimes a few inches, but often up to twelve inches or more. Eventually the fish will bolt off and line will be stripping off the reel at a very fast pace. I believe it is important not to tighten up too quickly as it’s the speed at which the fish is moving which dictates the timing of turning the bail arm over...................I tend to gently take the line in my fingers once a bite develops. This then become a sort of touch ledgering with an open bailarm
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Snape wrote:Bigfish have you tried striking on the finicky bites? You may be surprised.

I'll second that. I struck at a bite I thought was a gudgeon and it turned into a big barbel. I have had both barbel and chub striking at bites which could have been mistaken for minnows nudging the bait
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

No I was not touch legering at the time, but will try this method more this year. The fish are under a bit of pressure but mainly further up the backwater.

I had my best evening session when I only catapulted 4 small handfulls of trout pellets over the swim at the very beginning before I had even cast out, but I had pre-baited the swim with lots of hemp and pellets for a number of days beforehand. But that was on one of those rare nights when the fish go crazy! The swim is also home to chub to 6lb and big dace that have a likeing for 10mm trout pellets; so some of the bites might well have been from these. Also, there are eels in the swim that like trout pellets; whilst using 8lb powerline as a hooklink one night I kept on being bitten off, it was only when I lip hooked a 3 1/2 pounder did I know there were eels there!

Thanks again for your comments.

Hemingway

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”