Yatesy's MK1v Avon

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Re: Yatesy's MK1v Avon

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Without a doubt an interesting chap. I'm 47 ...been following his exploits since reading coarse fisherman in 1982. But essentially the fellow is an Angler ... One of us . Who loves to fish. How he does it is up to him . I love all the rusty old tin stuff. But what I see is the love of simple and effective fishing . Just the same as I saw in the eyes of a chap who couldn't speak a word of English , and with whom I swapped maggots for a can of cold coke at a commercial fishery . He was using a whip and I had me avon . ... I love the scaled down approach...it reminded me of the articles of 1982

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Santiago wrote:Do you think he would be such a 'fishing hero' if he hadn't caught that record carp on his cane rod from the enigmatic Redmire pool? I rather suspect he would; surely his enthusiasm and personality and writing would have made him as popular as he is today. He's 'bigger' than the capture of a single fish that made him a famous angler!

Anyways, I'ts nice to know he uses dubious tins to keep his tackle in; especially since last year I ditched my plastic boxes for a ropey old wooden one with old tobacco tins etc. Now my tackle seems more appropriately housed!

As an aside, I have no idea who caught the current record carp or the story behind it or from where and I have no interest in finding out!!
Chris was very well known in Angling circles years before he landed the 'Old 38' at the record weight. Chris like lots of carp anglers spent what little money he could spare on his syndicate ticket rather than tackle so ended up hooking ( I can't say landing) a record carp on old gear. This stuck and soon he switched from being obsessed on targeting the largest to fishing for wildies and soon barbel as his dream had been reached. I saw it with my old mate Lee Jackson, he finally caught his dream - the British Carp record then totally lost his drive for several years. There was a comment earlier that Chris sounds just like a normal bloke. - Of course he does that's what he is and it's how he has come across on the times I have been in his company even if he did shoot me with a boilie - yes a boilie out of his pea shooter the first time I was in the same room. Chris is a top bloke with respect from all sides of angling who has developed a massive following from 'traditional anglers'. I don't remember much tweed before the record though.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Shaun Harrison wrote:
Santiago wrote:Do you think he would be such a 'fishing hero' if he hadn't caught that record carp on his cane rod from the enigmatic Redmire pool? I rather suspect he would; surely his enthusiasm and personality and writing would have made him as popular as he is today. He's 'bigger' than the capture of a single fish that made him a famous angler!

Anyways, I'ts nice to know he uses dubious tins to keep his tackle in; especially since last year I ditched my plastic boxes for a ropey old wooden one with old tobacco tins etc. Now my tackle seems more appropriately housed!

As an aside, I have no idea who caught the current record carp or the story behind it or from where and I have no interest in finding out!!
Chris was very well known in Angling circles years before he landed the 'Old 38' at the record weight. Chris like lots of carp anglers spent what little money he could spare on his syndicate ticket rather than tackle so ended up hooking ( I can't say landing) a record carp on old gear. This stuck and soon he switched from being obsessed on targeting the largest to fishing for wildies and soon barbel as his dream had been reached. I saw it with my old mate Lee Jackson, he finally caught his dream - the British Carp record then totally lost his drive for several years. There was a comment earlier that Chris sounds just like a normal bloke. - Of course he does that's what he is and it's how he has come across on the times I have been in his company even if he did shoot me with a boilie - yes a boilie out of his pea shooter the first time I was in the same room. Chris is a top bloke with respect from all sides of angling who has developed a massive following from 'traditional anglers'. I do remember much tweed before the record though.
I get that point about spending what little money you have on actually fishing .. It's valid in all circumstances... And if you are fishing noon and night ( sure wish I was) you ain't gonna have loads for gear..I'm reminded of my years as a kid .. We went fishing and shooting . But rarely thought much about gear

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It seems he has quite a reputation with boilies! I recall Skeff writing about boilies being fired from cars racing down some Surrey lanes to Waggoner's Wells.....

I've also heard of a giant plastic tench being hoiked from Broadwater in Guildford.

Thank Gawd he's moved out West now, the ruffian! :laugh1:

He's come a long way since fishing for Gudgeon opposite Il Pirata.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Is all this about a rusty tin and one hook true ? After all I'm seeing barder rods and reels ... What I always liked was the smaller wicker basket seat ... I've looked but can't find one of them .

Return to “Chris Yates”