Seized end float screw on a Speedia

The Speedia Reels forum.
SeanM
Tench

Seized end float screw on a Speedia

Post by SeanM »

I've just bought a narrow drum Speedia from the auction site. It was very dirty when it arrived, but has cleaned up nicely and spins beautifully. The only problem is that the end float adjusting screw has seized and I can't free it up. At the moment it is soaking in WD40, but I don't hold out much hope as the last one I had didn't release when I did this and I had to drill it out.

Doe anyone have any suggestions?
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Chavender
Eel

Re: Seized end float screw on a Speedia

Post by Chavender »

fat centrepiece or thin centrepiece ?

thin centrepiece (later versions)
yes 2mm drill bit carefully applied through the bushings hole or carefully heat the centrepiece up whilst applying force from the screwdriver .

fat centrepiece (earlier versions)
this centre unscrews ,so its easy to drill out or heat up
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Plus-Gas overnight might do it, and a touch of heat from a cigarette lighter, or similar.

One thing we found in my motorbike fixing days was to tighten, rather than loosen, a seized nut or bolt. This was enough to break the grip of any corrosion and once you'd done that you could unscrew the item easily.

Worst case scenario...if you don't have enough end-float..is to re-profile the end of the shaft with a small sharpening stone.

I've done this to dozens of pins to get them running better when they have a 'dent' worn in the end. I just finish off with Solvol Autosol and finally Brasso polish to get a chrome clean finish that'll spin quietly without oil. I also do this to the screws by mounting them upside down on the spool to hold the screw for me. Not easy with pre-war brass screws that have been expanded, but it's just possible.

I know that early Young's screws in brass were 'opened out' to give a tight screw thread that wouldn't loosen. I'm not sure what they did with their post-war steel screws, probably relied on a tight thread in the plastic boss, nor what WR Products did.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Thanks guys. It's a thin centre-boss Steve so it won't come off. I've given it a good soaking with GT85 (like WD40) but the screw won't budge, The slot is distorting slightly so I daren't apply any more pressure. Having said that I just got a new PB at reel spinning: 3min 35secs and I didn't bat it too hard! I think the reel is a goer as it is so I'm not going to try anything too drastic.

Is Plu Gas any better than WD40 Nobby? Maybe that plus a bit of heat will do it.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

use a pencil to draw a line around the base of the brass turret (this will help later) , ok what you need is a 5.5mm drill bit (any kind will do) the blunt end should fit down the bushing hole (if not use a 5mm one) pull the release latch back so the blunt end of the drill bit can make contact with the turrets bottom .best put the spool over a vice or whatever so its suported properly .then rap the sharp end of the drill bit with a hammer (give it a good whack) the centre should tap out eventually (its a interferance fit ) two or three good whacks should do the job

i made a special tool just for the job ,i modelled it on the speedia's pin just made it longer ,but a blunt end of a drill should be ok ,but carefull too keep it strait ,as it'll be sitting in the recessed end where the spindles shoulder makes contact

i have made another tool for knocking out the bushing

the bushing is easy to replace but the turret you need too be carefull it goes back in strait .

you should find it easier to drill out the grub screw ,now the turret is removed .but when it comes to replaceing the turret centrepiece you'll have too get it as square on in the hole as you can the tap it back into the hole ,down too the line you drew earlier .

if you go too deep (a couple of mm is a good thing) ,you'll need to remove the spindle pin from the backplate and use this through the bushings hole too get the currect height ,the spindle has a shoulder when this butts up into the recessed rear end of the turret and tapped down to where the coller in the centrehole of the ratchet cog (its usual position) the turret should be in the correct position .easy once you know how

keep it too your self though ,i can't have all my secrets getting out :wink:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Thanks Steve. I'll pluck up courage and give it a go. Would putting the turret in the freezer before replacing make it any easier to locate? Where did you learn how a Speedia goes together?

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

freezing might help ,but a big thump from a hammer (n°1 screwdriver) usually does it ,didn't lean how it was put together ,i learned how to take one apart for myself

the one above had been dropped & had a bent spool and a worn bush ,so i broke it up for spares ,handles went on one reel ,drag adjuster onto another ,the linelay pins i kept intact will be used on a first model speedia i recently brought as its thin linelays was buckled other sundry items i still have as spares
it just took a little bit of lateral thinking about the problem ,and being a time served fully qualified moter vehical mechanic helps a little ,i had to take a good bush from a nakered reel (no handles & broken foot) and transplant it into one with the usual worn bushing .speedia's have a habit of the bushes wearing more at the bottom edge than the top creating tapered inside rather than a strait one giving the customary lateral movement of the spool (too much side strain will do that ) .the older ones with the fat centrepiece is a different matter ,much harder to get at the bushing .it very hard at the moment to find nakered speedia's to play with ,as they're selling for silly money on e-bay

Return to “Speedia Reels”