An alternative Float Tube

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Barbulus
Tench

An alternative Float Tube

Post by Barbulus »

I hinted in a recent post of a possible alternative use of a commonly available kitchen utensil....well...here it is...part completed but hopefully it will raise a smile ! It is not exactly decorative rather a functional "float tube". I absolutely would wish one of the incredible creations that other folk are able to produce but "needs must" and all that so.....a bit of self help..

I already had a lovely screw threaded 50mm "end cap" from a certain TFF member.....big big thankyou for that by the way.....but currently have been unable to source any half decent bamboo from the local DIY store as it is all cracked and split so......coincidentally.....on a recent trip into "Wilkinsons" for an inexpensive picture frame and I passed the kitchen utensil section.....Hmmmm.....that might do I thought......a bit of "fettling" perhaps....

Here it is.....at the grand unit cost of only £ 2.50....a rather delightful and basic wooden rolling pin......approx 50 mm diameter....pull apart the two wooden handles to reveal a metal shaft and a small bore aperture that runs through the wooden rolling pin.....I then simply sawed off a couple of inches from the wood body to better suit the floats I have made.....drilled out a 5 mm deep rebate from one end to take the base cap....then...and this is the slightly tricky bit for those of us without a decently equipped workshop or wood turning capability.....secured the wooden rolling pin horizontally in a "WorkMate" and put a 38mm wood drill bit into a decent drill and slowly and carefully just let the wood drill bit rotate and bit by bit it cut a reasonable circular hole all the way through the rolling pin. The "Workmate" does need to be secure though and you do need to take a firm grip of the drill and ensure it is cutting into the wood without an angle...

The inside of the "pin" after drilling through was a little rough but no matter....simply then cut an oblong piece of very thin plastic card to the length of the "pin" and roll it into a tube and slide this into the just drilled aperture and...hey presto...a circular and protective "inner" in which to take the floats....if you run the wood drill bit in and out a little you can achieve an internal bore diameter of approx. 40 mm leaving approx 5mm internal wall sides to the "float tube" - a 40 mm internal bore allows me to take upto 8 Avon and Wagglers easily....next fettle a slight "bevel" to the other end of the wood tube and secure the other (screw threaded) end cap in place then badly whip ! (Pipers Silk Nos 3). Two coats of a light oak stain finish to the wood and over the next few days....apply generous amounts of the varnish of your choice to in part cover the appalling standard of whipping I have just undertaken.....

There you have it....not exactly artistically creative or talented but an alternative use for a cheap wooden rolling pin available from a retail outlet near you......I should add that the bamboo tubes I have made previously are much lighter and I have simply used large cork bungs as the stopper and the bamboo "node" as the end "cap".....but if you can't source decent bamboo at the moment...then maybe the Rolling Pin Float Tube approach will work....seems pretty traditional on at least two fronts really and I think it could be used as a multi tool to roll out the pastry when the fishing is a little slow !

If you haven't a beautiful threaded "end cap" then the cork bungs are absolutely great and functional - inexpensive and easy - but I think I might decorate the next one with a scene from "Confessions....."

Barbulus

Barney
Grayling

Re: An alternative Float Tube

Post by Barney »

No laughing at that tube,what a great idea,i'll have to put up the float i made from a paint brush handle,

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Looks pretty splendid to me Sir!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

What a marvelous piece of ingenuity! Good show sir! :Hat:

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Great idea

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Cool and dead round too can we have a look at the inside
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

do you only get one quill in the hole....? :Scared: :Cool: :Thumb: :Hahaha:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Image Not sure whether these photographs will be sufficiently clear of the inside but hopefully it will give a sense of the result of boring out the rolling pin with the wood drill bit - the rolled up plastic protective inner protects the floats from the rough wood inside and still allows approx 8 good size floats.....

Additionally, I have included some photographs of a "baby" rolling pin...the princely sum of 60 pence - also from Wilkinsons ! It seems to me that the "baby" one is an ideal size for split shot and the other bits and bobs of tackle....and the diameter of the "baby" rolling pin will fit copper plumbing "caps" in addition to chamfered champagne corks....or Cava if you prefer....

Barney - love the idea of a paint brush float

Bluelabel - I think it depends on the size of your "quill" ?

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”