The beauty of Ashmead

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Hovis
Tench

Re: The beauty of Ashmead

Post by Hovis »

Your hard work is clearly paying off Skef. Well done to you and the captor. Is that otter fencing in the background?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

It is Hovis.... Not aesthetically pleasing but essential here in Somerset. We have otters in the ream behind the fence every day. We're fortunate in that Ashmead could be fenced, otherwise we would have no fish.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Another beauty. Well done that angler :Hat:
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Skeff wrote:It is Hovis.... Not aesthetically pleasing but essential here in Somerset. We have otters in the ream behind the fence every day. We're fortunate in that Ashmead could be fenced, otherwise we would have no fish.
Difficult to blame the otter in situations like this though as we have created a 1 stop shop for them. Ashmead isn't your typical commercial venue and in no way am I suggesting this but if I was an otter it would look very attractive. Nice to see you are striking a balance with the fencing.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

No blame apportioned..... Otters do what otters have evolved to do. Fishery managers need to evolve to cope with the fact that they are resurgent in our countryside, within the limits of the law and what we personally find morally acceptable.

I put my feelings about the otter resurgence down in a chapter in my book and couldn't possibly summarise it here in just a few words, as it is a difficult and emotive subject. It's particularly difficult for me, as I'm an angler, fishery owner and conservationist by both passion and profession.....

Your last sentence is the key for me Hovis, as with most things in life, it's all about balance!

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

I thought a link to the Ashmead website might be of interest to some.....

Best
Skeff

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

It would indeed.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Ha ha ha ha! Modern technology Dave!!! I'll crack it one day..... (or not!).

Yer tis.... http://www.ashmeadfishery.com

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Lovely pictures of some rather large carps there Skeff ... :shocked: ....The pictures in the Scenics section are beautiful.Are there any gudgeon.... :Sun: .

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Are there any gudgeon....? Not yet Champ but watch this space.... Some nice perch though; I found a 3.10 dead after spawning a few years ago. No-one fishes for them though so I'm not sure what is in there!

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”