What is the best way to keep lobworms

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mark
Head Bailiff

What is the best way to keep lobworms

Post by Mark »

What is the best way to keep lobworms, someone once told me to keep them in a bucket in a cool dark place in wet shredded newspaper and they should keep for a couple of week. I have never tried it do you think it would work?

Please note I am talking about the garden lobworm here and not the red worms or brandlings etc.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: What is the best way to keep lobworms

Post by Loop Erimder »

A month ago or more I bought some lobworms from the tackle shop and I didn't use them all so I put them in the big plastic box in the garage with the rest of the worms and dirt and waste veg etc. I used them up last week after digging about for them.
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

That should work. However, if you can get hold of some sphagnum moss and dampen that it will be even better for them.

I currently have a couple of the large 'dalek' style composting bins in my garden. Everything gets chucked in their from bad onions to left over cooked food sometimes. Now, the thing is, worms (including lobs) are not supposed to tolerate onions, or citrus fruit rind. So why are my bins absolutely heaving with lobs and redworms? I think the answer to my own question is the fact that I have these worms in very large containers so they have room to move, to breathe and importantly to get away from anything they find objectionable. So this system works for me. I have been told that lobs are partial to left over mashed potato; in reasonable quantities of course :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

The sphagnum moss you talk about Kevan is that the same that can be found in a lawns because mine is full of it at the bottom end of the garden.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Fred Bonney
Perch

Post by Fred Bonney »

That's the stuff Mark, and what you have in mind is about right.

Put in a little bit of mashed spud NO SALT for feed.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Mark, I do exactly as you describe in your original post - maybe include a few old leaves and a bit of Mrs GP's garden compost (home-composted, not commercial stuff). I then keep them cool, in my cellar, and they have lasted for a couple of months (easily). I check on them every few days, wheneverI'm down the cellar messing around (making floats and refurbuishing rods). I'm always surprised at how long they last (I buy them, not harvest them myself).

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thank you chaps.
Mark (Administrator)

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

The moss should toughen them up a little. If you are only keeping a few they are better in a old metal biscuit tin than plastic. They are happy in damp shredded paper. Any damaged ones or dead ones remove them as the others will quickly die too. Lobworms don't seem to be able to cope with dead ones amongst them.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

John Wilson showed on one of his program's how to make a wormery in his garage in an old fish tank, i think. Keith Arthur showed in one he had worms breeding in a simple bait box. Just compost kept damp and the occasional bit of veg or price of apple chucked in. He had baby worms and worm eggs in his.

It's true what Shaun says about dead worms. It's not just lobs. For some reason dead worm is the best thing for killing worms.....
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thanks Shaun.

The next question is how do you chaps get hold of them, without purchasing them that is.

Do you dig them up in your garden or collect them off the lawn. I never see lobworms on my lawn for some reason, I have heard pouring water on the lawn that contains washing up liquid brings them to the top, again would this work?
Mark (Administrator)

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”