The beginning of the end? An early fibreglass rod

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Deaf Cat
Grayling

Re: The beginning of the end? An early fibreglass rod

Post by Deaf Cat »

When I asked Bruce & Walker about mine back in 2011 (via the website) they confirmed that it was an old match rod.

Their website says,

“ Bruce & Walker has been making fishing blanks and rods since 1959. Prior to that, we were known as B. James & Son, which was Jim Bruce Snr's company, making split cane rods in London. For over 60 years we have made everything ourselves; selecting the best raw carbons available, making our own blanks and rods.”

So who knows!
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi Deaf Cat. So it looks like as we thought our rods are match rods. It's just a shame there is no one we can ask about the style of ferrules or joins on our rods. They are obviously different from the ferrules of latter rods. I think after giving it some thought that the material my rod, and I think perhaps yours as well, have a stiff action more like carbon than glass. What do you think ?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Without going through 6 pages of this thread, did anyone put up this link before?

It's a bit hidden on their website and I thought at first it had gone, but it is still there under: About Us, scroll down: Historical Rod Information

http://www.bruceandwalker.co.uk/files/6 ... Series.pdf

I think CTM stood for Competition Match Taper. ??? Obviously not quite what you have but it gives you an idea of the range they offered.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

David wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:07 am I know how to send the photos but it says that all my files are too large to send. What I have tried to do is make the images smaller in the way that was described to me but it did not work. Therefor I still can't send them
Depending on what program you are using you might resize your images on Windows with Paint, which is on all OS's.

There is also now a resizer in Windows10 and in Windows Power Toys.

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi I will get the wife to have a look at it. I can send and answer texts/messages but that's about it. She does all the computer things and after all it is her comp I'm playing with.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

[quote=Nobby I think CTM stood for Competition Match Taper. ??? Obviously not quite what you have but it gives you an idea of the range they offered.
[/quote]

I think that it may have been Compound Taper Match.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I understood it to mean Compound Taper Match
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

I have just seen something elsewhere that makes me think the rod is made from phenolic glass fibre - the early version of glass fibre that was discontinued because of the carcinogenic nature of the manufacturing chemicals.

This might also account for the gunky brown colour!
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

David
Dace

Post by David »

Perhaps we should put the brown rods away and forget about them.

JAA
Grayling

Post by JAA »

David wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:40 pm Perhaps we should put the brown rods away and forget about them.
Currently rebuilding a 'brown' Winfield Specimen Fisher 106, so I'll hang on a bit :fishing2:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”