Ledger Medium

Post by Ljm183 »

A recent buy this Edgar Sealey Ledger Medium
9ft 3 piece

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Ledger Medium

Post by Nobby »

First time I've seen an early rod in that pale green Lee, nice colour, hard to duplicate.

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Nice rod Lee
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote:First time I've seen an early rod in that pale green Lee, nice colour, hard to duplicate.
The other two ledger,s i had both had pale green whipping, one a medium, the other a heavy but both needed ring,s. The medium i whipped with a green/gold twist the heavy with a pale green, as you say hard to get the right shade with light green.

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

I purchased a medium ledger at a carboot-sale in Weymouth, last week. 20,-quids. The tip was 4" short, but fortunately I had a matching tip as spares in the basement. I found the perfect light green thread!!!

AMANN Group, Mettler poly sheen, Art.3406, No.40, 220yds, 100%Polyester, col.0352, GERMAN MADE, A0981

I don't know, if you can find this knitting yarn the in the UK, so I wrote every word and number, that's written on the spool for you. Important is the colour number 0352. I do all my whippings with Mettler yarn. Light red for Allcocks is 1703, matching green for Light Caster for example is 5610 :Cool: , burgundy for b.james, etcetera is 1902

If you have trouble finding it, pm me and we work sth. out.
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I am restoring a Heavy Ledger at the moment and found a good match was Pac Bay spring green, its not the best nylon available but with a bit of patience I think a decent finish can be obtained.
The A grade seems to me to be slightly thicker than other makers A grades so don't be tempted to buy the D grade its far too thick unless you are trying to replicate some of Allcocks later rods such as the Lucky Strike..

Just out of interest which may save some of you a few bob, I also recently bought some Pac Bay "Evergreen" to restore a MK IV Avon but it turns almost black even with a sealer on it. It is nylon but darkens like some silks.
They also do NCP versions which don't darken at all but they look more like paint when finished, ok on modern rods I suppose but no good for the traditional finish..

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

An update to the heavy ledger rod I am restoring with Pac Bay Spring green, I have just been to check on the rod which had its first varnish coat yesterday and it has darkened considerably on drying, Why? :Cry:

I can honestly say that I now wouldn't recommend Pac Bay thread at all.. :Hahaha:

Carry on chaps..

Wal.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Wallys-Cast wrote:An update to the heavy ledger rod I am restoring with Pac Bay Spring green, I have just been to check on the rod which had its first varnish coat yesterday and it has darkened considerably on drying, Why? :Cry:

I can honestly say that I now wouldn't recommend Pac Bay thread at all.. :Hahaha:

Carry on chaps..

Wal.
I will speak up for the thread. They do do a range which is colour fast and doesn't change when varnished
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”