The River Medway

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Hugo Curgudgeon

The River Medway

Post by Hugo Curgudgeon »

The upper Medway is a delightful stream, with excellent and varied pools and fast shallows. I was accompanied on the river yesterday by my beloved Bunty, who enjoyed the idyllic country side and amazing raptors.

Using a Kennet Perfection and an Ambidex I eased a quill float along the margins to tempt small fish with red maggots. I caught perch and roach.

We left as the dedicated barbel fishers began to arrive. Plenty of time for that wonderful fish as they are still spawning.

Regards,

Hugo

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Re: The River Medway

Post by Greentura »

Sounds good, and not that far from me. I have only ever fished the town stretch between the bridges of the Medway, I take it you were the Tonbridge end ?

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Greentura

How did you get on? I lived in Maidstone for three years but never fished the river.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

A delightful river the Medway and not as much fished as it should.

I spent opening day on the Sportsground stetch at Tonbridge armed with my Lucky Strike and Speedia. How times have changed. Once apon a time the morning of 16 June, if it fell on a weekend would have seen anglers lining the bank, but despite the fine weather, only three others were out.

Sport was slow at first, but the bites eventually came. Nothing of any size but a real mixed bag of roach, small chub, perch, bream, bleak, gudgeon (hurrah) and a ruffe.

If you live in the area and have not yet fished there, it it comes recommended. Its relatively narrow and suits traditional float tactics.,

Hugo Curgudgeon

Piscators,

I was fishing on a stretch leased by

http://www.rtwas.co.uk/

Have been a member for more years than I can count!

Regards,

Hugo

Sion
Bleak

Post by Sion »

I have fished a couple of stretches in this area with my son, near Tonbridge (Haysden Water & The Sportsground), also further downstream at Barming Bridge.

Glad to hear they are biting (on traditional gear!)

Tomorrow morning, we will be on the banks of the River Eden (tributary joining the medway nr Penshurst), hoping to reacquaint ourselves with a certain Mr Chub that we met during the winter months.

Once saw a chap with a rod in the Medway as far upstream as Forest Row.

Hugo Curgudgeon

Some good fish to be caught right up to Weir Wood reservoir, with permission.

Hugo

Hugo Curgudgeon

A very pleasant afternoon on the Upper Medway after the rain had stopped. Using worm with one swan shot on the line I lured a fine chub of 3 1/2 lbs and a small perch. I had the river to myself apart from swallows, housemartins, kingfishers and a herd of inquisitive cows.

Bliss!

Hugo

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Beresford, roach and bream to just under a pound and plenty if them, slider float fished well over depth and a bait dropper. Paid a visit Thursday to have a look but too many 'special brew' aficionados to make fishin a possibility, best before they wake, around mid day.

King Of The Ghetto
Minnow

Post by King Of The Ghetto »

Can anyone recommend me a quiet/scenic stretch near to South London and on a day ticket? Many thanks.

Return to “Other Rivers”