Chapman Amwell?

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Chapman Amwell?

Post by Kevanf1 »

Has anybody ever heard of a 'Chapman Amwell'? I don't recall ever hearing of it but it is a coarse rod.
Last edited by Kevanf1 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: Chapman Amwell?

Post by Ljm183 »

The Amwell a three piece bottom rod early ones from1950 to the Amwell SP 1960

Some pics of my early restored model

Lee.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

3 piece 11" rod with a 1lb test curve, Nice rod by all the accounts i have read although I have never held one

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=443

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Ooh, nice :) So it is a genuine model then. Ok, some questions... Should all three pieces (or, at least the tip and middle section) be the same size and were Chapmans scrupulous about this? Would Chapmans have finished a rod off with a slightly different shade of whipping if they ran out of one sort? I find that a little doubtful myself. Finally, what would a fair to good condition Amwell be worth? The one I'm thinking of has the tip section a half inch shorter than the middle which in turn is a quarter inch shorter than the butt. I won't say what this rod is priced at for now but suffice to say it's a friend who is looking at one and I think it is greatly overpriced.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

The amwell is the same as “The Shelford” only with a few more rings, same length same taper
Have a look here for details
http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=439

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

A restored Amwell sold on ebay last year and went for £40 ish but there,s one here http://www.vintagefishingtackle.co.uk/s ... serods.htm
£165

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Chapman's did two Amwells over the years ... as below ... I think it was the fittings that differed ...

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=443

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=617
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Early Chapman rod,s have the gold oval Chapman transfer,s and the later rod,s plain black writing "R.Chapman & Co Ware Herts"

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Eager to add not simply quality but also practicality, I've just added a Chapman's "Amwell" to my collection. Better pictures will follow when it arrives with me. Yes, it's one that was mentioned earlier in this thread, but not at the price quoted. :Sun:

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

"The Amwell" arrived with me this morning, and it feels lovely in the hand.

A similar configuration to my Foster Bros. "The Perfection Roach Rod," this one is slightly thicker over it's entire length, and a handle which is 2 inches longer.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”