The Domhof knot?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

The Domhof knot?

Post by Kevanf1 »

Does anybody use the Domhof knot? I'm finally reading 'Small Stream Fishing' and Mr Forbes recommended the 'domhof' whipped knot with eyed hooks. It looks good. In fact I reminds me of the modern day knotless knot. I am pretty sure it could actually be used as a knotless knot if a loop was included in the tag end. But how secure is it? I guess that not a great deal of line strength would be lost in using this knot.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Estaban

Re: The Domhof knot?

Post by Estaban »

It looks like a good strong knot, similar to the knotless or a snell, both of which work very well. I use a snell for my hooks and have yet to see one fail.

RobTheRake
Silver Bream

Post by RobTheRake »

I used spade end hooks almost exclusively for many years (light line, match-style angling) and the Domhof was the finest knot for that job, allowing the hook to hang perfectly straight.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Yes, it's the knot for and I`ve always used for spade end hooks, as stated, the line comes from in front of the spade, so hangs straight. For those that dabble both sides of the dark arts, its also used in chod rigs.............

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Unlike the Knotless "knot", the Domhof is a whipping, with BOTH ends trapped under every turn; it cannot come undone when slack, which the KK can, unless covered with tubing. It is the same as the Snell, but worked up the hook in the opposite direction, and I have wasted many frozen-fingered minutes trying to remember which is which, and best for what purpose.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Chris Ball once told be it's the only knot he uses for carp fishing these days. It rang a bell....and I found it on the back of my Pegley-Davies knot card from the Sixties!

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

So Mr forbes got it right all those years ago. Traditionalism is just so good at times :) I have, of course heard of this knot in the past but I admit I have never used it. I have simply not really considered it before yet now, I can think of many times when it would have been the perfect knot to use. Over the past few years I have been using a 5 turn grinner or a knotless knot when I have wanted to use a hair rig. I think, which experience will now prove right or wrong, that the Domhof is more versatile.

We shall see ;)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Revell366

Post by Revell366 »

I'm sure it's the same knot that is used when making a d rig in modern carp fishing as can set it to where you want it to start on the hook

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I shall look up the 'd rig'. I have heard of it before but I honestly do not have a clue as to what exactly this is :Hide:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I was shown that knot about ten years ago by Dave Saddler. He taught me to tie it and wouldn't let me fish until I'd perfected it. I'm glad he did, I still use it today. Even on eyed hooks I take it through the eye first then down the shank of the hook and the knott pulls tight against the base of the eye of the hook....to my mind giving it double security.

I see no reason why it can't be adapted to suit the knottless knott BigFish.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”