Edgar Sealey ... un-named (as yet) 10ft 6in.

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Edgar Sealey ... un-named (as yet) 10ft 6in.

Post by AshbyCut »

A rush of blood to the head has resulted in a collection of 3 rods and a reel now winging it's way towards me ... only one of which really interests me.

There's an 11ft early 2 piece John Wilson Quiver Tip with 2 tip sections (float and quiver), and a one piece 6ft John Wilson 'Six Shooter' bait caster with a Mainline 'WS S600' bait caster reel to go with it.

The main reason for the purchase, however, is the Edgar Sealey rod in 3 pieces measuring a total of 10ft 6in, and looking like a 'Chapman's 550' clone, with two equal length split cane sections and a separate handle.

In my 1969 Sealey catalogue there is a similar rod listed in fibre glass under the heading "Specimen Hunter Rods" ... the 'Peter Butler 10 1/2ft Carp' ... so I'm assuming that this is the forerunner of that. Anyone with an earlier Sealey's catalogue able to identify it ??? (Hint to Nobby)

There appears to be a slight set in the tip section, but at the price I paid it seems worth the punt.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

GazTheAngler

Re: Edgar Sealey ... un-named (as yet) 10ft 6in.

Post by GazTheAngler »

AC, no idea about the Sealey, but that early JW is a great rod, a definate classic carbon rod if there was one.

the cane rod looks very nice though.

Gaz

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

In Mr Crabtrees guide to good fishing tackle by Hal Mount, on page 6 is a Sealey Peter Butler 11 ft Roach rod. This is split cane, two sectioned with a seperate butt, the same format as a Chapmans 500/550. All the best, Reedling. :Hat:
Last edited by Reedling on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Not a bad looking rod. I wonder if it is an early Carpmaster?
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Reedling wrote:In Mr Crabtrees guide to good fishing tackle by Hal Mount, on page 6 is a Sealey Peter Butler 11 ft Roach rod. This is split cane, two sectioned with a seperate butt, the same format as a Chapmans 500/550. All the best, Reedling. :Hat:
... thanks for reminding me, Sir ... and in the '69 catalogue the Peter Butler glass rods listed are the 10 1/2 ft Carp, the 11 ft Barbel, and the 11 1/2 ft Roach, hence my thought about this one being a forerunner of that series.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I was tempted by that too, but I did wonder why the entire tip section is whipped in another colour. No idea about the rod, sorry..but I thought it might be a roach rod.

Why has the JW rod got a black handle I wonder..they were never all eva foam, just half eva half cork.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thanks for the reply, Nobby, Sir. That's part of what I love about this hobby/obsession ... the intrigue/searching/investigating.

I'll keep you updated when the rods arrive.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

The Sealey lower portions might be a "Strikerite"
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Yes, I was another watcher on that one. It certainly looks to have potential and I was intrigued by the Kennet Perfection/FJT type configuration. It would have been feasable for me to collect as I'm not too far but something just held me back. I think the label looks as though it will disintigrate if you so much as breath near it and also not being an instantly recognisable Sealey rod also added to my misgivings.

I do think, though, Ashby, that you have had something of a touch there, old boy. You've absolutely nicked it at the price you got it for. Even the Wilson alone is probably worth the sheckle you've outlayed for the lot. I hope it turns out to be all hunky dory for you.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Funny how many of us were watching that one!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”