Post by Pentonhook »

Gentlemen, I am seeking information regarding the above rod,
namely the original type and size of butt and tip ring fitted,
and the internal diameter's of the intermediate open bridge ring's
on the middle and tip section.

BarbelBonce

Re: The Ledger Heavy

Post by BarbelBonce »

PH - we must stop meeting like this! 1st Milward and now ES.
On mine:
Butt ring is a natural, opaque, coral-coloured Agate, 17.50mm i.d.
Tip ring: all metal (forgotten the 'trade' name) 6.50mm i.d.
Mid-joint: 7.10 & 6.50mm
Top joint 6.25, 6.00 and 5.85mm.

All sizes are approx.:I haven't taken a huge amount of time to get them 100% right and every vernier gives differing dimensions. But pretty close.

Hope this helps.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting one of these for my next rod. I'm after something a bit shorter than what I have at the moment. I know they're called ledgers but so you think they would be any good for float fishing in the margins for carp? Or are they a bit too heavy in weight to be holding all day?

Also is the medium a lot softer? What sort of size fish would you be happy to target on them?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

MaggotDrowner wrote:Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting one of these for my next rod. I'm after something a bit shorter than what I have at the moment. I know they're called ledgers but so you think they would be any good for float fishing in the margins for carp? Or are they a bit too heavy in weight to be holding all day?

Also is the medium a lot softer? What sort of size fish would you be happy to target on them?
Hi "MD", :Hat:

I have the "Medium" and although not having any experience of it, would personally like a look at the "Heavy".
In my experience, I found that the "Medium" barely coped with some larger Chub of 4lbs+ and really struggled with Barbel of a similar size. It was just too soft in the action to really control those hard-fighting fish from the Kennet.

Maybe others feel differently, I don't know, but I think that the "Medium" is better suited to light feeder work on the Thames after Roach and Chub of the 3lb range.

As for the "Heavy" being suited to margin Carp work......I doubt it, although I suspect it might be fun!

Pentonhook
Dace

Post by Pentonhook »

BB.

Thank you for your quick reply, most helpful.
Could I be a pain and ask you for the measurement's
of the butt ring as follows, the height and the total
measurement of the two whipping's (end to end including
the space that's not whipped between the feet of the ring).

The reason for this, is that looking at the marks left by the
whipping for the butt ring, which is 45mm, which indicates
an overall length of the ring to be about 40mm. The ring I
have with these dimension's is only 20mm high with an internal
diameter of 10mm.

The ring's I have that are anywhere close to 17.5mm ID are
14mm ID but are 30mm high and a total length of 68mm
which doesn't look right.

BTW, just need to cut off the reel seat on the Milward's and
fit a pair of sliding band's.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Maggot's Dad wrote:

I have the "Medium" and although not having any experience of it, would personally like a look at the "Heavy".
In my experience, I found that the "Medium" barely coped with some larger Chub of 4lbs+ and really struggled with Barbel of a similar size. It was just too soft in the action to really control those hard-fighting fish from the Kennet.

Maybe others feel differently, I don't know, but I think that the "Medium" is better suited to light feeder work on the Thames after Roach and Chub of the 3lb range.

As for the "Heavy" being suited to margin Carp work......I doubt it, although I suspect it might be fun!

Thanks for the info, MD. Why don't you think it is suitable for carp? Not enough backbone for the task, or would you prefer a longer rod?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

MaggotDrowner wrote:
Maggot's Dad wrote:

Thanks for the info, MD. Why don't you think it is suitable for carp? Not enough backbone for the task, or would you prefer a longer rod?
Hi again MD, :Hat:
......from my experiences with the "Medium", which I now consider only suitable for Roach and small/medium Chub, then I doubt very much that the "Heavy" will have enough backbone. It might suffice for smaller Carp , possibly up to 10lb in clear water, but I really doubt that it would cope with anything larger (and I'd love to be proven wrong on that point) especially if there happens to be a snag in the swim.

Come on Chaps, someone out there must own the "Heavy", let's hear from you!

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I bet the light ledger is only good for a small gobio gobio. :Chuckle:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

MaggotDrowner wrote:I bet the light ledger is only good for a small gobio gobio. :Chuckle:
MD, :Hat:

.....you might laugh, but I definately agree with you there!

I have just read something of the "Heavy" in which the person comments that they are far more substantially built, even more so than our beloved MK1V's! So maybe I am totally wrong!

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Maggot's Dad wrote:
MaggotDrowner wrote:I bet the light ledger is only good for a small gobio gobio. :Chuckle:
MD, :Hat:

.....you might laugh, but I definately agree with you there!

I have just read something of the "Heavy" in which the person comments that they are far more substantially built, even more so than our beloved MK1V's! So maybe I am totally wrong!

Hey Mods, :Hat:
....any chance of a foot in mouth Smiley? :Hahaha:

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”