Dick Walker account

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Snape
Bailiff

Dick Walker account

Post by Snape »

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Dick Walker account

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Well, there was I recently home from yet another fruitless nights fishing in need of some inspiration and I read this and feel a whole lot better. Thanks Snape!!! :hat: :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Yes, very nice Snape.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

That was Dick Walker always the gentleman. I have many fond memories of the great man. Back in the late 1950's I well remember Dick asking me to write his column in the Evening Standard about Catching Big Bream in the South East. Sadly it went up in flames in a house fire some years later along with over 2000 books in which my father perished.

Talking with Dick one evening he said "Where are you spending your honeymoon" I said "It looks like Jersey, but I'm not really interested". Dick then said "You can have the cabin for a week if you wish". I said "I accept your offer". A few days later I told my future wife, I don't think she was too pleased. But it turned out all right in the end.

The greatest honour for me, even more than getting a Knighthood, was receiving a letter from Mike Kavanagh on my 50th birthday. In which Mike asked me I would host the Chat Show at Carp Society Conference 4th June 1988. I immediately called Mike to say "Yes" Three of the guests couldn't attend BB, Maurice Ingham and Dick Kefford. I called Mike to say we should video an interview with BB, Maurice and Dick in their in their homes. I was asked what my fee would be?. I said "Nothing" I didn't even want my expenses. I considered it an Honour to the great mans name to do the job.

During the interview with Maurice he told me he didn't have a copy of drop Me A Line having loaned it out, then never seeing it again. I promised Maurice he would have a copy in a couple of weeks. I tried every book dealer in the country without success. In the end I called an old friend Col Furness in Strathpeffer near Inverness. After chatting for a while, I made my request. The Col said just one moment. Five minutes he was back to say I have a 1st edition in excellent condition. A few days later Maurice had his book. There are so many memories of Dick and the number of times he has inspired me is immense. Above all he taught me to be a better and more caring person.

As I sit at my desk I'm surrounded by over 2500 books, tackle going back to the 1800's, but my greatest prize is the bronze bust of Richard Walker. I've been offered as much as £16000-00 for this bronze, but no way will it be sold. In my will it goes to my daughter, then my grandson. I also have a copy of Still Water Angling bound in green leather and signed by Dick which also includes the Dicks memorial service. The other book Drop Me A line is also bound in green leather and signed by both Dick and Maurice. Certainly proud possessions. Long may his memory live on.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

You have some great memories and items there Martin. I hope we are doing our little bit to keep theses memories alive for others to read on the forum.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Agreed Mark, we are doing our bit to keep the subject and the memories alive, but its having living legends like Martin on the forum that makes it that little bit more special, and its posts like the one above that put a smile on our faces!

Thanks Martin!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:but its having living legends like Martin on the forum that makes it that little bit more special, and its posts like the one above that put a smile on our faces!

Thanks Martin!!!
Well said SK
Mark (Administrator)

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

I'm not a legend, just an ordinary guy that has done his bit for Queen and country, and the lovely pastime of angling. I've never wanted to make money from the sport, passion or pastime of angling. I reckon its a bit of all three. All my articles, photographs go too charities such as Crossroad Care and the ABF The Soldiers Charity. All the royalties from Up Against It went to Crossroads with the launch in the House of Commons.200 plus guests including some nurses that cared for me when I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.

Angling and to a certain extent wildfowling have been my main passions in life apart from my family. During my fly fishing academy in the UAE, I was offered a $1000-00 dollar tip by one of my pupils, I refused it, asking that it be given to the Pendle Buddies. With that the hotel said we will give you an extra $2000-00. Pic and story on the Pendle Buddies website. I've now managed to get a 5 day stay at the Le Meridien hotel Al Aqua hotel in Fujairah for Crossroads which has raised a considerable amount of money which means they can give more cae to those in need. Sadly we shouldn't need to do these things its down to the Government.

But sadly we don't live in the perfect world. Look at the way the Government are treating our injured servicemen and woman. Angling to me is an escape from the real world. Today I have had a young angler on the River Ribble we didn't have a bite but this 12 year old learnt a lot about the wildlife and the aquatic environment and why we have to work to protect it.On Wednesday I have 20 odd boys on a small lake where they will start the day litter picking.Not only do we teach these kids about angling but also how to be a better citizen and respect for other people and property.I better stop my ramblings.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

And that Martin is why you are a legend.

If only there were more people like you sir. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

You might not think your a legend Martin, but I do and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking like this. :hat:
Mark (Administrator)

Return to “Dick Walker”