Okuma Aventa

The Other Reels forum.
TincaTinca

Okuma Aventa

Post by TincaTinca »

I may upset the purists amongst you guys out there.however I have just purchased the above reel, it runs very well and is so smooth it's 4 1/2 inch drum I am pleased with it and can not wait to use it.

Chavender
Eel

Re: Okuma Aventa

Post by Chavender »

if its the silver aventa then its more traditional than you thought asits a bushings reel ,and not a bearings reel like the rest of the okuma range .the okuma's are good centrepin reels ,well apart from the one with the gimmic's .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Actually, eventhough I bought an allcocks aerialight, I've found that line doesn't run that freely off of the spool as I would have liked for trotting the river, so I've been concidering buying a newer model centrepin for the river.

I've seen a few on ebay, such as the "marco cortesi" one at around £40. Although it's not in keeping with the traditional side of things, I can't yet afford one of the traditional reels that I'd like....eg.....an Allcocks aerial or match Aerial. So it would serve as a stand-in until I can afford one.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

To me, 'traditional angling' is less about what you use and more about how you use it. There's not much wrong with a "Marco Cortesi" ... especially if it's what you can afford. I have one myself ... won in the TFF Raffle last year.

I wish you many years tight lines with your Akuma, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Kingfisher wrote:Actually, eventhough I bought an allcocks aerialight, I've found that line doesn't run that freely off of the spool as I would have liked for trotting the river, so I've been concidering buying a newer model centrepin for the river.

I've seen a few on ebay, such as the "marco cortesi" one at around £40. Although it's not in keeping with the traditional side of things, I can't yet afford one of the traditional reels that I'd like....eg.....an Allcocks aerial or match Aerial. So it would serve as a stand-in until I can afford one.
Actually Dragon are now selling them for £20 !

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Pedro wrote:Actually Dragon are now selling them for £20 !
... and they come with a wooden presentation box !!!

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/product ... n-box.html

The "Signature" is £30 ... and the "Mk II" is £40 ... but they are both 'unavailable' at present.

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/product ... -reel.html

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/product ... -reel.html
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Tackle that works perfectly straight out of the box is only "traditional" if your tradition is Old Money and a stately home... for the rest of us, the stuff has to be tweaked, tuned, fettled, and sometimes threatened with Oxfam or Ebay (harsh!)

The Cortesi is a super reel, but dismantle it first, pop the bearings out and flush them through with lighter fuel to get the swarf out, re-lube (sewing machine oil) and re-assemble, spin a few times; does it wobble at high speed? Spin (only slowly, or you'll be at the job all day) and mark which bit of the drum ends up at the top; repeat until a pattern emerges, and wight the spot with un-traditional carpers' heavy metal putty, adjusting until the high-speed wobble is not bothersome.

Then fish with it; but take a screwdriver (cross-head), and keep a beady eye on the bolts that hold the reel together and the handles on.
A bit fiddlesome; but one day, we may look back on it as the last bit of new kit to have a bit of "personality" about it.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Tackle that works perfectly straight out of the box is only "traditional" if your tradition is Old Money and a stately home... for the rest of us, the stuff has to be tweaked, tuned, fettled, and sometimes threatened with Oxfam or Ebay (harsh!)

The Cortesi is a super reel, but dismantle it first, pop the bearings out and flush them through with lighter fuel to get the swarf out, re-lube (sewing machine oil) and re-assemble, spin a few times; does it wobble at high speed? If so, spin it (only slowly, or you'll be at the job all day) and mark which bit of the drum ends up at the top; repeat until a pattern emerges, and weight the spot with un-traditional carpers' heavy metal putty, adjusting until the high-speed wobble is not bothersome.

Then fish with it; but take a screwdriver (cross-head), and keep a beady eye on the bolts that hold the reel together and the handles on.
A bit fiddlesome; but one day, we may look back on it as the last bit of new kit to have a bit of "personality" about it.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Good advice about the screwdriver vole!

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

AshbyCut wrote:
Pedro wrote:Actually Dragon are now selling them for £20 !
... and they come with a wooden presentation box !!!

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/product ... n-box.html

that used to be called the "hydroflo" ,now they've thrown the contessi name at it ,to hide the fact its crap ,possibly there worst centrepin .even i wouldn't buy one ,and i buy loads of there stuff ,all of there other centrepins are great ,just this one is crap .pay the extra £10 or so and get one of there other centrepins otherwise your buying a jewellery box and paperweight

in fact i currently have two of there centrepins ,a matt hayes special aerial and a trinium (contessi/sheffied hybrid) and until last years TFF agm / meeting i had a marco contessi which some lucky bugger won in the raffle ,best i could win was a set of gudgeon scales.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “Other Reels”