As near to the past as I could get

The Other Reels forum.
Alan H

As near to the past as I could get

Post by Alan H »

When I was talking on a thread about my start into fishing, I mentioned my first reel being a little pressed tin centre pin, bringing it all back to mind I had to have a look around to see if I could see something like it on various sites, Then I came upon this little reel on Ebay, Very close, but mine then was all pressed metal, the knobs on the handle were wood, this has a plastic drum and handle, the nearest to plastic we had then was Bakelite but that was expensive.

This is a small reel but its about like the first I had and I couldn't resist buying it especially seeing the price.

As I mainly fish the margins I thought I would use it this year with my old cane rod to bring back a few old memories.

This was advertised as old stock found in a box in the shop, they are selling them for £2 + £2.50 PP.

Alan

Maggot's Dad

Re: As near to the past as I could get

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Hi Alan, :Hat:

sweet aren't they...proper boy's reels.

They've been about for a while now, those and a slightly different version.
Having not actually having had one in my sticky great mitts, I am now assuming that they are the "real McCoy" (I hope that I am correct), (also please forgive me for saying this),and not yet another dodgy Chinese import.
They certainly have the look of the 60's about them.

Whatever..... I hope that when you do try it out, if only for the fun of it, it results in a very nice fish! I and everyone else on here, would love to know!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Good luck with your margin fishing this year Alan, the reel looks very nice indeed.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Hi there

They're certainly not an old reel, they could be a Chinese import or something like that, saying that, it's not bad, it's free running, It's not a precision reel by any means, but it is what it is, a kids small reel, it's the nearest thing I could find to be like the reel I had as a kid.

It has the name "Tokoz" under a sort of leaping fish symbol stamped in the top of the reel seat.

I will have a bit of fun with it this summer in the margins, as a kid with a reel like that I caught 100's and 100's of fish, be interesting to see if I could do it again.

Alan

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I think Tokoz were Czech tackle manufacturers for many years. I have a black 7ft glass spinning rod by them which must be '60's or '70's.

I think they were available through Woolworths, amongst other places.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

PS Alan H ... you are welcome to the Tokoz rod if it would bring back memories. PM me if you'd like it.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I found this link to the current factory, which says in it's history "1931 - production of fishing gears launched."

http://www.tokoz-cz.com/about-tokoz/

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Thank you for your kind offer Ashby but I think I will stick to my old cane rod, Fibreglass hadn't been thought of when I was a kid, all rods were cane or greenheart, reels were all centre pins, I never saw or used a fixed spool reel until I was about 29, I couldn't believe it when I cast with a fixed spool reel, the distance I could get was unbelievable.

Alan

Gateleaner
Ruffe

Post by Gateleaner »

Oh my goodness. Exactly like my first reel which I used for Gudgeon bashing on the River Brue in the early 70's.
Used it with a truly unsuitable solid glass 6ft rod. Brother and i didn't have a fishing father or uncle so we learned the hard way.

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Alan H wrote:Hi there

They're certainly not an old reel, they could be a Chinese import or something like that, saying that, it's not bad, it's free running, It's not a precision reel by any means, but it is what it is, a kids small reel, it's the nearest thing I could find to be like the reel I had as a kid.

It has the name "Tokoz" under a sort of leaping fish symbol stamped in the top of the reel seat.

I will have a bit of fun with it this summer in the margins, as a kid with a reel like that I caught 100's and 100's of fish, be interesting to see if I could do it again.

Alan
Hi again Alan, :Hat:

..... of course, Tokoz!
At the end of the day, I don't think it really matters.
I do actually rather envy you, the utter simplicity of it!

I "doff" my cap once again, :Hat: to you Sir, , for being so brave as to use it!

I wish you well!

Return to “Other Reels”