The Aerial Popular - Model 8902

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: The Aerial Popular – Model 8902

Post by Mark »

Leveller wrote:Looks a nice one, mine looks like a bears ar5e in comparison, the pops are lovely reels, they have a lovely feel to them. Good luck with it mark
Thanks Leveller.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Avocet

Re: The Aerial Popular – Model 8902

Post by Avocet »

Are all pre war Populars R/handers, if so are they easy to reverse ??

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Re: The Aerial Popular - Model 8902

Post by Chubman »

they are one of my favourite reels,i have all 4 sizes, but please mark, put a cork arbour on it,as the line pillars are quite far apart and far down on the drum,your line will have little kinks every inch along its length,ignore this advice and you will reget it later, when your playing a 2lb+ roach and the line departs from the reel. hope you enjoy these reels as i do, chubman

Avocet

Post by Avocet »

Hello Chubman,
I do like them as we'll and I am looking for a 4" but I am put of by the Right hand check which is all I seem to see.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Chubman wrote:they are one of my favourite reels,i have all 4 sizes, but please mark, put a cork arbour on it,as the line pillars are quite far apart and far down on the drum,your line will have little kinks every inch along its length,ignore this advice and you will reget it later, when your playing a 2lb+ roach and the line departs from the reel. hope you enjoy these reels as i do, chubman
How do I get hold of or make a cork arbour.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Mark wrote: How do I get hold of or make a cork arbour.
There is a thread on it here Mark, it's in the Speedial section, but will work the same on a Popular.

viewtopic.php?f=202&t=7516

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Estaban wrote:
Mark wrote: How do I get hold of or make a cork arbour.
There is a thread on it here Mark, it's in the Speedial section, but will work the same on a Popular.

viewtopic.php?f=202&t=7516
Cheers Estaban. :Thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

to cork arbour a aeril popular, i would source some 3mm thick cork sheet via e bay,cut strips at a slight angle on both edges or sand to the width of drum,so its a very tight fit on both edges.make the first layer in two halves of the circumference of the drum in line with the handles so that they butt together,stage two, cut another two strips which will need to be a bit longer as the dia is increasing ,fit opposite to the first layer so that the butt joints are opposite the first layer butt joints,which helps keep the reel balanced ,you have now increased the drum dia by 12mm therefore, increasing line retrieval speed.never over load line on the drum ,just enough for your usual trotting length when using a float plus a bit extra just in case a big chub takes a long run upsteam.otherwise your line will bed in and reduce your wallace casting distance.hope this helps and is clear enough.best wishes, chubman.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thanks for that Chubman. :Thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

Avocet

Post by Avocet »

I get ignored by my wife as well was it something I said ?? :Hahaha:

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”