European fixed spool reeels

The Other Reels forum.
PondLife
Perch

European fixed spool reeels

Post by PondLife »

Just been looking through a 1955 Milwards catalogue and noticed they used to sell a french reel called a Bretton, which looked kind of interesting. So being a bit bored i started searching the net for Bretton reels and came across a nice website http://home.planet.nl/~badger/. Then for some reason i searched a few other sites and came across other european reels such as Dam, Centaure, Pezon Et Michel, and Sportex. So what I'm struggling to say, is anybody familiar with the above reels, are they any good and does anybody actually own and use them?.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: European fixed spool reeels

Post by Bob Brookes »

Pondlife,
Check out Dam 280, 300 & Standard reels. In my opinion they are far better than comparable Mitchells of the same era. The engineering is superb & they are virtually bomb proof, so I reckon they must have bee made from melted down panzer tanks!
I would look for earlier models, say up to the early '70's. They aren't expensive and are frequently listed on eBay, usually in the USA. The attached website is a valuable source of information.
http://home.kpn.nl/roland.lindenberh/index.html
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

There was a chap who joined the forum recently and lives in Belgium - Jean-Paul by name - who seemd to know an awful lot about European spinning reels.

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

Thanks guys for the information, will be checking out Dam reels as i fancy a change from mitchells and ambidex's. And will check out the gentleman in question. Kind regards, Pondlife.

Snoekjaeger

Post by Snoekjaeger »

PondLife wrote:Just been looking through a 1955 Milwards catalogue and noticed they used to sell a french reel called a Bretton, which looked kind of interesting. So being a bit bored i started searching the net for Bretton reels and came across a nice website http://home.planet.nl/~badger/. Then for some reason i searched a few other sites and came across other european reels such as Dam, Centaure, Pezon Et Michel, and Sportex. So what I'm struggling to say, is anybody familiar with the above reels, are they any good and does anybody actually own and use them?.
If it is for ultra-light or light fishing I can recommend the Luxor Luxe or Luxor Special (the smallest size of the Luxors).
There's a lotd of different versions of that little reel, with or without antireverse. Different colours (the oldest colour is black) Later on this reel was produced as the Crack 100, but I have always preferred the old version. Also, do not go to the Luxor Nr. 1 square versions (a little word on this below, it's a long story...).

The problem is finding a good example of a Luxor Luxe of Luxor Special... most are very worn. I would not suggest to by it online, try finding one at an angling exhibition were you can test it. Also get one with a line-roller (the very oldest don't have it). The Luxor Luxe is not a very smooth running reel, but the bail-trip is fantastic, as is the drag.

I would not recommend the Sportex, I have had a few and the drag is terrible, also note some ot the older Sportex 55 have automatic anti-verse (you can not swicth it off, well... unless it is broken...).

About Luxor and Crack (I'll try to summarize the story) :

Mr.Mauborgne invents the Luxor range of reels
He deals with Pezon et Michel that will sell them, Mauborgne produces the reels in his company LLM
Pezon et Michel have the rights (trademark) to the name LUXOR
Mauborgne has the technical patents to the design.
In this period we have e.g. Luxor Luxe 1, Luxor Supreme, Luxor Saumon Mer Leger Nr 2, Luxor Mer Nr 3. They are also available in rapid versions (letter R in the type), MPU, full bail etc

When Mauborgne dies (tragical car accident), his family continues making the reels but they are now called CRACK 100, CRACK 200 and CRACK 300 (as they did not have the right to the name). Also in rapid versions, different bail styles, etc

Pezon et Michel still has the trademark and begins production of their own series still called Luxor Nr. 1, etc but these reels are technically different and have square body-shapes in stead of round

Here you can see the LUXOR (old and new style) sold by Pezon et Michel
http://pechantic.pagesperso-orange.fr/luxor.htm
Here you can see the CRACK sold by the Mauborgne family
http://pechantic.pagesperso-orange.fr/crack.htm

Jean-Paul

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

See what I mean! Good knowledge J-P

Snoekjaeger

Post by Snoekjaeger »

The VFC wrote:See what I mean! Good knowledge J-P
Thanks,

The Centaure River could be used for carpfishing, but is likely to need some tuning, e.g. an extra felt washer could be needed to improve the drag.

Also note when buying an "old" reel it will always need some extra attention.
Even if it is "mint in the box" there's likely to be old grease inside you will need to replace, the bailsprings have been in the same position for over 50 years and sometimes become vulnerable.
Also double-check the lineroller, it could use a drop of white-oil (as will most of the other moving parts).

Jean-Paul

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

Hi Snoekjaeger thanks for taking the and effort to give such detailed information on the above. It's most interesting and informative. VFC wasn't exaggerating you certainly know your reels. Will take your advice and avoid sportex, but will have a look at the luxors. Incidentally i think i saw a crack the other day when i was searching the web and didn't have clue what it was. Thanks to you, now i do but the problem is going to be finding it again. Thanks again, pondlife.

Snoekjaeger

Post by Snoekjaeger »

For carpfishing at short to medium distances (let's say up to 50 meters or so) with lines from 22/00 to 24/00 maximum you could have a look at the Luxor Supreme model, it is available in a bunch of different versions (manual pick-up, rapid version, fold.handle, deep spool, shallow spool, etc). When you get one for fishing it will probably need some tuning and oiling.
But the most important thing to look out for is the small screw in the center of the dragbutton, it is very often missing ! I have drawn an arrow where it should be located. Jean-Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Lovely looking reels Jean-Paul.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Other Reels”