Traditional style floats: best places to find them.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Traditional style floats: best places to find them.

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I've just recently got into vintage tackle. I have just bought my first split cane rod and an old reel, but now I need some traditional floats to go with them. I don't like the thought of putting modern plastic floats on such old tackle. The kind of float that I am looking for need not have any real age (although genuine age is nice) but be traditional in style.

The thing is, being a young student, I don't have a vast amount of money to throw at such wonderful things as old fashioned floats, so I was wondering where I could lay my hands on some fairly cheaply to start my collection.

I understand traditional floats are hand made and take time, but I was thinking perhaps about second hand sources such as car boots, eBay and so forth.

Where have you acquired most of your floats from and where are the bargains hiding?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Traditional style floats: best places to find them.

Post by Loop Erimder »

You can pick up some good bargains on ebay, they can be fairly cheap but also quite dear too, you just need to keep an eye out and be there at the right time. The newly made vintage style are amazing and expensive, I would love to buy some but I couldnt bring myself to use them in fear of losing them to trees and bushes. Why not have a go at making them there are plenty of helpful hints and tips on here
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Scott Thompson

Post by Scott Thompson »

Start with something simple, have a walk around your waters and you'll come across some quills, all they really need is cutting to length an eye whipping on the bottom and the top painting red, yellow or black.
They will suit the rod and reel and when you get that first fish on a float you have made yourself its a great feeling.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Birds are in peak condition at the moment, and won't be moulting much before early summer. If you have a local rookery, keep an eye on the ground as you pass by, they shed one feather at a time, mostly in the warmer seasons. Some water-fowl (particularlythe ones where the males have a distinct showy-off breeding season plumage) moult all the wing feathers at once, and spend a month or so in "eclipse", and flightless: the lee shore of large lakes (especially those with islands un-reachable by foxes) are worth exploring at such times. Chat up your friendly local twitcher.
Norfolk reed (= Common reed, = Phragmites) isanother free source of trad float-making material.

Old floats - car-boots, ebay, "antique" shops and fairs... often a few in old tackle-boxes, so always have a look!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

There's always a few on Ebay.

I've got my eye on a "Wotton" still water float set £15.95 for 7 floats.

There were some nice one at around £8 for four a little while ago so keep looking.

My Dad lives in Biggin Hill and has a tackle shop near his flat, last year i bought 2 quills from there, but they haven't had any since.

Gaz

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I purchased the wotton still water and the river floats a while back very good for the price think I paid £12 per set
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I always think this fellers the best bargain on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-Onions-Mixe ... 416f014fab

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

MaggotDrowner - I think you are not too far from me? What sort of floats are you looking for? Next time I have a float-making session (it won't be for a while yet I'm afraid) I'll make a few for you. They won't be professional quality, but should be useable (and not plastic :D ). PM me if you prefer.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

That would be very kind Gary. I just want some basic waggler floats to start with. Not fussy what type, just traditional style. How much would you want for them?

If you make floats you might be the best person to ask. Are there any special tools you need for making your own? I am thinking of having a go at making a few myself. I want to practice whipping on floats before I attempt to restore a cane rod I have just bought from eBay.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

A junior hacksaw with a very fine-toothed blade, a craft knife with spare blades, fine paintbrushes, some fine and medium glasspaper and some small drills (2,3mm) are enough for tools. Materials; balsa dowel in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2", some cane skewers, fine whipping thread and peacock quills plus whatever you can find on the bank like goose and crowquills. Add a small tin of yacht varnish and a tin of matt white and fluorescent red or orange and you have enough to make a load of floats for less than £15.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”