Pairs of reels!

The Other Reels forum.
The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Pairs of reels!

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Its just dawned on me that I seem to be obsessed with ownerships of pairs of reels.

Its been a long time since I've used two rods on any one trip, paired up rods and reels are a thing of the past BUT I have a collection of reels that come in two's! I have two Abu 66's, two Abu 55's, two Mitchel 410's, two Mitchell 300c's, two 300 early boomerang, two 300 half bail arm versions, two Ambidex mark six, two Aerial C815's, two Trudex's.

The centre pins are not such an issue as they take different lines (this is useful) but the fixed spool pairing fixation has me puzzled, does anyone else suffer from this pairing syndrome or am I alone!

The VFC
Brown Trout

Re: Pairs of reels!

Post by The VFC »

Just you Nick - wierdo.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I have many reels and some are pairs some are more than pairs (7x 300's) some with boomerang anti reverse. I dont own any pairs of cane rods so not too fussed about using a pair of reels together on the cane rods. I do own two sets of shimanos though 3 in each set

When I am lucky enough to be able to purchase 2 identical cane rods, be it MKIV's or 500/550's then I'm sure I will be wanting to match them up with a pair of reels
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

The VFC wrote:Just you Nick - wierdo.
Thank you Jim for your reassurance!!!

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Here to help....

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I used to buy an old reel and always try to find a second one for spares. What I ended up with was a minter for the shelf and a user....so then I needed a third for spares.

Which, as I've said so often before, is when we lost the dining room :oops:

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Could be two much of a good thing is wonderfull!

I've got the odd pair but only because I can't resist a bargain,
I have two 1915s and two pops, two ray waltons. Two match aerials

Is it me or are aeriel reels getting cheaper?
I know it's relative to condition but the last three reels I've acquired have been 4nch pop £104'
4"aeriel £259 and a 4.5" 1915aeriel £260'
I couldn't have done that five years ago!
Looking through my sales tickets , even broken reels were fetching £400 plus?

Anyone else of the same opinion?

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

One of the things I really liked when I got back into using traditional gear was an escape from wanting matching pairs of things that had dogged my more modern angling. I have two MkIV carp rods by the same maker but they are far from being a pair and I kinda like that. However, for those who like pairs, and why not, good luck in your hunting!

I believe Loop owns the rod that would enable me to have a matched pair!
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Beresford wrote:One of the things I really liked when I got back into using traditional gear was an escape from wanting matching pairs of things that had dogged my more modern angling. I have two MkIV carp rods by the same maker but they are far from being a pair and I kinda like that. However, for those who like pairs, and why not, good luck in your hunting!

I believe Loop owns the rod that would enable me to have a matched pair!
Which one would that be then :think:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

i too ,suffer from twindo ,(but i'm trying hard to fight it) i have two pairs of baitrunners ,two mitchell 410's & two abu 507's left
but as part of my rehab i've sold on ½ of other pairings to the singular .pairs i used to have ,but reduced to just one of each.

two abu 506's reduced to 1X506 (but i cheated here as i brought a abu 706 ,to replace the other 506)
not a true pair but i had two shimano fighting drag reels ,1Xshimano stradic and a shimano sedona ,i sold the stradic as it was a jap model and rather saught after (i always prefered the sedona) for a rather vulgar amount .
two mitchell 410a's now reduced to 1
i sold one of my pair of browning revolver centrepins
i've sold a couple of different sized baitrunners that was part of pairs i've reduced to 1 of each ,i now use as loaner's
i have 3 trigger/lever bailarm release spinning reels ,all had paired reels which i got rid of over time and just have one of each left .

in the past i've owned other pairs of reel
i had two mitchell matches
two mitchell 300's
two speedia wide spools with veriable ratchet's & drags
two speedia narrow spools with veriable ratchet's & drags
two okuma aventa pro's centrepins
two shakespeare lincolns
two diawa 1657 dm's

i'm sure theres more i've had pars of reel sets ,but cant right now remember ,i had the same afflction with rods

i currently have paired rods

two avanti oxygen 13ft spliced tipped rods
two avanti oxygen 11ft pellet waggler rods (nice avon action)
two avanti oxygen 12ft feeder rods
two jw wilson avon/quiver rods (mk2's from the eighties)
two 11ft aldi combo (float/feeder) 4 piece rods
two fox 12ft 2.75tc floodwater barbel rods
two 2lbs tc barbel rods (cant recall brand)

i still have one of a pair of jw avon/quiver system rods ,kept this one as a loaner/spare because i had to repair it after dropping it ,unpacking the car and breaking the avon tip ,i converted it to a fixed quiver (a bit softer than my origanal jw avon/quivers tip) i converted what was left of the avon tip to a push in tip that fits in the quiver holder section ,its now a odd combination rod ,1 fixed quiver and three incert quivers and a incert avon tip ,but i've found a stiffer quiver (donkeytop) section ,so at some point i'll fit this into the carrier section and have a duel tipped 11ft-13ft quiver rod .

i conversly have some float rods i wouldn't mind finding a pair of at some point.

i would like to find two avanti oxygen 15ft float rods ,never did complete my set.
another 15ft harrison gti float rod
a nice pair of cane float rods ,maybe new builds ? i have my eye on a couple of medols from a couple of builders quite near me.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “Other Reels”