Grice and Young Jecta....I'm stumped.

The Other Reels forum.
Gurn
Chub

Grice and Young Jecta....I'm stumped.

Post by Gurn »

I've been given the option to purchase a reel. It is made by Grice and Young and is a Jecta IIXX. It has a strange double gear system. Internet search has resulted in no information at all. The numerals also seem wrong but the reel looks untampered. Although it looks like a 'pin it seems to be a kind of multiplier, maybe a sea reel. I really don't know. I think I could probably use it for margin carping or, dare I say, catfishing. Any information on the reel will be welcome. Will post some pics later..cheers.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Re: Grice and Young Jecta....I'm stumped.

Post by Chevin »

Think the jecta were designed for sea fishing, although some are named on a certain auction site as Pike reels. Cant see any real reason why it cannot be used down the edge for carp.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

G&Y made a range of Jectas, some for sea fishing, others for coarse. They were notorious for producing many variations of each reel, depending on what was in the factory bits box on the day of manufacture. I have a Jecta Century II which is great for margin carp fishing. More info here:

http://www.macman.id.au/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=57

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

I know they did the SeaJecta, though this is not one of them, but it would seem to have a deep spool suggesting it could indeed be a sea reel.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Nice link Davy, it seems they did indeed use bits from the box, the back of the sea jecta III is not too different from the Avon Supreme, and the early jecta very simillar to the gypsy dior
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Cheers for the link Davyr. The reel is not pictured. If I was to guess though, I'd say it was a Model 2 Jecta with deep spool and a 'special' dual gear mechanism for speedier retrieve. Seems a bit of an oddball, so I might get on well with it. :D

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

For the record gents.....

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Gurn wrote:I know they did the SeaJecta, though this is not one of them, but it would seem to have a deep spool suggesting it could indeed be a sea reel.
And the SeaJecta Deluxe too of course - that ran to at least Mk III
Jim

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Not seen one of those before, Gurn...but the handle is very remeniscent of a JW Youngs salmon reel..the Freedex:

http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/freedex.htm

Not sure if your handle free-spools, though?

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Blimey Nobby, it must be a pretty rare thing if you've not stumbled across one. Thanks for the link. The handle doesn't free spool, at least I don't think it does. All the added bits equate to is, one turn of the handle = two turns of the drum. I think this reel might just be what I'm looking for. I have a little quest lined up for next season.

Return to “Other Reels”