Adcock Stanton

The Other Reels forum.
LuckyLuca
Barbel

Adcock Stanton

Post by LuckyLuca »

An example of this reel maker here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230880339188? ... 1438.l2648

Your thoughts on this are sought with regard to usabillity, expected value, repairability (replacing the handles)?
Thanks once again
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Adcock Stanton

Post by LuckyLuca »

Thank you, Will just sit back and watch I think!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I sold this model a few years ago (with handles) and it fetched £120.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

AndyPop
Silver Bream

Post by AndyPop »

Having fished with numerous Stantons in the past I have found that handles aren't really needed. The knurled rim helps retrieving if you like to bat the drum and the holes in the face are great for putting your index finger in. Many models were sold without the handles from new, and leave one or two less items for getting your line wrapped around on a bad day!
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Thanks for the info guys, think this is a sit back and watch item. Best avoided unless rediculously cheap!

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

handles shouldn't be a problem ,as for reliability there shouldn't be a problem there either as they're prettty robust & reliable reels. expertly built by a man in a shed ,ok so being a rolls royce engineer helps

now the black plastic foot model ,isn't as popular as the metal foot models ,£40-£60 would be about right for that one .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

It has the plastic reel foot so, for starters it is not strictly an original. The originals, by Cliff Adcock (still not the absolute original Stantons) had alloy reel feet. I bought a 4 inch and a 4.5 inch brand new back when Cliff was still making them. This was something like 14 or 15 years ago. Back then they were something in the region of £120. Both of mine had ratchets but only the 4 inch model had a drag but both had handles. This was how I specified them at the time. In hindsight I would have saved a few pounds and not bothered with the drag.... I have never bothered to use it :)

As for wobble. If there were any I would be very surprised. They are bearing reels and use very good bearings. I imagine they would need a very hard life to wear them enough to cause any discernible wobble.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

A bit disingenuous though!
This model wasn't fitted with handles
Excuse me! You can see where they have been removed or broken off.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

Kevanf1 wrote:It has the plastic reel foot so, for starters it is not strictly an original. The originals, by Cliff Adcock (still not the absolute original Stantons) had alloy reel feet. I bought a 4 inch and a 4.5 inch brand new back when Cliff was still making them. This was something like 14 or 15 years ago. Back then they were something in the region of £120. Both of mine had ratchets but only the 4 inch model had a drag but both had handles. This was how I specified them at the time. In hindsight I would have saved a few pounds and not bothered with the drag.... I have never bothered to use it :)

As for wobble. If there were any I would be very surprised. They are bearing reels and use very good bearings. I imagine they would need a very hard life to wear them enough to cause any discernible wobble.

cliff had the graphite foots made ,as i think if i remember right he had a problem with the casting on the older alloy ones handles ,ratchet ,drag and sometimes when he could be bothered the colour all optional

oh and that e-bay one has been taken apart ,because the person who took it apart has put the rear nut on the front and the front on the rear
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I think the nuts are on correctly but I am not so sure it has a drag. The drag unit was (I think) slightly more prominent. Unless it is just the way it has been photographed?
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Return to “Other Reels”