Free Wicker Basket now finished.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Free Wicker Basket now finished.

Post by Duckett »

Wanderer wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:50 pm
John Milford wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:33 pm You've done a great job there Mr B. I like the plaited hessian strap especially. :Hat:

Lovely things, wicker baskets, although not the most comfortable seating! (I think Noel Edmunds must have thought up the name of his fictional town of 'Crinkley Bottom' after sitting on one. :Chuckle: ).

I carry a gardener's padded 'kneeling mat' in mine as a cushion.

Other simple things to impove a fishing basket are to fit four large rubber walking stick ferrules onto the protruding ends of the frame to preserve them and act as non-slip feet. Lining the base of the basket with a waterproof sheet, cut to size, also stops small items escaping through larger gaps in the weave.

Both quick and easy things to do. :Thumb:
I like the idea of walking stick ferrules for the legs, John.
I have been on the lookout for little square "segs" for the same reason. Sadly, segs seem to be unavailable these days.
Rubber feet it will be ! :Hat:
It is still possible to source segs - Amazon have them in a range of sizes and shapes.

Back in the 1980s, when I was working for the local MP, I visited the Armley Malleable Ironworks in Leeds. At the time, they were one of the last foundries to cast segs. I’ve used them ever since! They were marketed as Blakey’s Segs and came in little sky blue and red packets. Sadly, long gone but someone still makes them!

https://museumsandgalleries.leeds.gov.u ... bout-segs/

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Thanks for your kind reply's gents.
I enjoyed working with it and it was nice using materials I all ready had knocking around.
There is something rather nice about a wicker basket.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Duckett wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:07 pm
Wanderer wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:50 pm
John Milford wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:33 pm You've done a great job there Mr B. I like the plaited hessian strap especially. :Hat:

Lovely things, wicker baskets, although not the most comfortable seating! (I think Noel Edmunds must have thought up the name of his fictional town of 'Crinkley Bottom' after sitting on one. :Chuckle: ).

I carry a gardener's padded 'kneeling mat' in mine as a cushion.

Other simple things to impove a fishing basket are to fit four large rubber walking stick ferrules onto the protruding ends of the frame to preserve them and act as non-slip feet. Lining the base of the basket with a waterproof sheet, cut to size, also stops small items escaping through larger gaps in the weave.

Both quick and easy things to do. :Thumb:
I like the idea of walking stick ferrules for the legs, John.
I have been on the lookout for little square "segs" for the same reason. Sadly, segs seem to be unavailable these days.
Rubber feet it will be ! :Hat:
It is still possible to source segs - Amazon have them in a range of sizes and shapes.

Back in the 1980s, when I was working for the local MP, I visited the Armley Malleable Ironworks in Leeds. At the time, they were one of the last foundries to cast segs. I’ve used them ever since! They were marketed as Blakey’s Segs and came in little sky blue and red packets. Sadly, long gone but someone still makes them!

https://museumsandgalleries.leeds.gov.u ... bout-segs/

Phil
Just as a short comment to both.
I have a nice bit of leather cut to size fir the bottom of the basket to stop things dropping through etc..
Also the the Blakeys..
During the dustman strike early (1970's) me and my pals were rummaging the the communal rubbish when it close ( climbed over the corrugated iron fencing) an old cobblers must have closed down because there were hundreds of cards full of blakeys! I had boxes of them, and all sorts of twine and rubber heels.
We used lots of blakeys as ammo in our catapults!
I kept lots back and nailed them in my leather soled shoes and later motor bike boots and even had some up to a few years ago 50 years later!
Going back to the basket... there was a single nail at the bottom of each leg.. they stuck out a bit so I pulled them out. I imagined they had some kind of hard wearing foot/seg! on them.
Mmm, there's a thought an ha'penny.. not that hard waring but good on grass.. and I have a good few of them.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

All interesting stuff Gents, thank you.
It is even possible that my ancestors were involved in the "segs" business. My Grandma's maiden name was Alice Blakey. A Yorkshire woman, so it's quite possible. Maybe one day I'll do a little more research and try to find out.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Sorry for the late reply! You made a great job of the basket! 👌👍 :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”