Cummins Eagle Line

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Walkerburt
Roach

Cummins Eagle Line

Post by Walkerburt »

The vendor has very kindly written a date on the label of this wooden spool (1926/30), but I don’t have many Cummins catalogues of this period. Does anyone have date information, or indeed anything that will give me a clue?

Many thanks

Phil

The Watcher by the Bridge

John Milford
Grayling

Re: Cummins Eagle Line

Post by John Milford »

The date is a clue Phil, but it is possible that the spool is earlier than the date written on it?

The thing about line spools is that they are handy to keep and re-use to store lines other than the ones that were supplied on them originally.

The fact that the label is over-written and dated probably signifies re-use by a previous owner who recorded what they'd put on it?

The writing is a little difficult to decipher, but it looks line "Old greased line about 60X" or some such?
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

P.S.

I have a few vintage wooden spools myself. Not something I collect specifically, but interesting peripheral items to accompany my old lures and floats.

The 'PATAR' is one I like particularly - it's the only line I've seen specifically recommended as a 'pike line'.

ImageImageImage
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

John Milford wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:45 am The date is a clue Phil, but it is possible that the spool is earlier than the date written on it?

The thing about line spools is that they are handy to keep and re-use to store lines other than the ones that were supplied on them originally.

The fact that the label is over-written and dated probably signifies re-use by a previous owner who recorded what they'd put on it?

The writing is a little difficult to decipher, but it looks line "Old greased line about 60X" or some such?
Thanks John, it’s the first one I’ve seen, has a certain cache with that grain, yours look good too
The Watcher by the Bridge

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The spool looks to made from Laburnum. Often dyed and used as an inlay, very nice.

Wal.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”