Salmon Run With Jack Chalton. Pre PC!

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Salmon Run With Jack Chalton. Pre PC!

Post by Mr B »

I have just enjoyed this on YouTube.
I watched it years ago but really enjoyed it again this evening.
Its interesting how Jacks blunt approach seems dated, but watching it again I thoroughly enjoyed it.. some snippet sounds from our King himself ( King Charles, who would never use a spinner) and our Fred J cooking up a Salmon in news paper..
To me a bit of the old traditional.
"If" you haven't seen it.. well worth watching.

Mr B.

The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Treeman
Gudgeon

Re: Salmon Run With Jack Chalton. Pre PC!

Post by Treeman »

Thanks for this Mr B I had forgotten all about this used to watch the early jack Charlton fishing progs I'll settle down to watch this tomorrow šŸ‘
AKA Russell

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I really enjoyed that, thank you! :Thumb: :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks for sharing. I surprised myself and enjoyed that! Have to say though ā€¦ā€¦ eating salmon with a plastic knife? Health and safely gone mad!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Yes, glad you all enjoyed it.
I did a bit of research myself last night after watching it... Salmon fishing Ireland... I must say it looks really nice.. something to aim at within the next few years... a little treat.
Jack was thought a lot of in Ireland there are a couple of sculptures of him.
I like this one in Bronze by PJ Heraty. It was at Cork Airport, not sure if it is still there?

Mr B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Mr B wrote: ā†‘Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:11 pm Yes, glad you all enjoyed it.
I did a bit of research myself last night after watching it... Salmon fishing Ireland... I must say it looks really nice.. something to aim at within the next few years... a little treat.
Jack was thought a lot of in Ireland there are a couple of sculptures of him.
I like this one in Bronze by PJ Heraty. It was at Cork Airport, not sure if it is still there?

Mr B.
I can attest to how highly Jack Charlton is thought of in Ireland, indeed all of their sporting heroes. Using the Shannon Ferry on a holiday in the west, a Leeds United supporting friend and I met the Chair of the Limerick Leeds United Supporters Association - dozens of members, a couple of dozen season tickets between them and regular flights booked from Knock to Leeds-Bradford. We were invited to join some of the members for a glass or three and some craic.

The evening started well but got even better when they discovered that my mate had actually seen Jack play ā€¦.. and had a few tall stories about him that they hadnā€™t already heard. Disappointed I wasnā€™t also a Leeds supporter, the mood got even more convivial when I told them I supported Tranmere Rovers and had seen both John Aldridge and David ā€œNedā€ Kelly play! Gaelic games is the real passion but only football and rugby can generate international coverage for a nation that excels at sport in the way Ireland does. What I discovered that night was the huge respect they had for Jack was in part generated by stretching the international rules on who could pull on the emerald jersey to the absolute limit - resulting in footballers like John Aldridge and Tony Cascarino playing in the great team Jack created - a very Irish way to approach the job and one no one else had had before!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Such a shame he never played for West Hamā€¦.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Jack also done a tv series called I think ā€˜Jacks Gameā€™ where he covered other country pursuits, he was an all rounder who loved his fishing, shooting and all country sports, the episodes on Beagling & Mink Hounds are excellent. As a footballer tough as teak, didnā€™t take any prisoners on the days you could get away with it.
Dave

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Rutland Rod wrote: ā†‘Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:34 am Jack also done a tv series called I think ā€˜Jacks Gameā€™ where he covered other country pursuits, he was an all rounder who loved his fishing, shooting and all country sports, the episodes on Beagling & Mink Hounds are excellent. As a footballer tough as teak, didnā€™t take any prisoners on the days you could get away with it.
Dave
Yes, I watched that series when it came out.
Enjoyed it..a no nonsense kind of bloke.
A good all rounder and fantastic football player... pity he didn't play for West Ham Rob šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
I must watch them again.
Fred J did a similar program too... Country Hearts I think it was called..
Fred J is my old hero.
I did a fair bit of Ferreting and made my own purse nets and did plenty of shooting, not any more.
Side tracking a bit... Fred J tied a fly and named it.. it was supposed to be deadly... I must look into that again, read that just a week or two ago, could be mistaken he was a rough and ready fly fisherman so his friends say.
Mr B.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

There are a few fellow anglers whose line I would not tangle with. Jack Charlton is top of that list, Fred's up there too. Great blokes the pair of them.

Return to ā€œFishing Filmsā€