The Haunting of Redmire Pool

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
John Milford
Grayling

Re: The Haunting of Redmire Pool

Post by John Milford »

Peter Wilde wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:18 pm I would love to encounter a 'ghost or spectre' or whatever you call them. But, there is no proof that they exist other than from distracted people or folk that were in poorly lit areas where the body is naturally in a heightened state of awareness ie in the dark, an old and often badly lit building, creepy lane, dense wood..... you see the connection.

However, the talk of an office printer has reminded me of a tale recounted to me by a chap who repaired them. He was in an office building where there seemed to be a fashion competition amongst the female workers, he enjoyed his calls there. Anyway, one day he was crouching behind a machine
fixing it. He heard the door open and a beautiful young lady breezed into the otherwise empty office. She stood for a moment and looked around, then she grimaced slightly and expelled the longest, loudest fart he had ever heard a woman emit. He immediately stood up and stone faces said 'It's just a minor fault, I'll be clear in a minute' and, according to him, she looked at him as though she had just seen a ghost.
Or more likely … Heard a ghost !!
:Chuckle: I expect the repair man experienced a 'lingering ethereal presence' after she departed the room! :whistle:
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Given that almost everyone now carries a camera in their pocket, you would think evidence of ghosts/ufo's/big cats/nessie/big foot would be abundant nowadays.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Trevor wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:43 pm Given that almost everyone now carries a camera in their pocket, you would think evidence of ghosts/ufo's/big cats/nessie/big foot would be abundant nowadays.

Given that digital images can be concocted and synthesised almost limitlessly nowadays,

-would you believe them if they were..?

:Hat:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Trevor wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:43 pm Given that almost everyone now carries a camera in their pocket, you would think evidence of ghosts/ufo's/big cats/nessie/big foot would be abundant nowadays.
Used to be that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." With almost everyone carrying HD cameras and video recorders, the Bayesian view is "absence of evidence when evidence is cheap and should be plentiful is increasingly a credible evidence of absence".

This leads to another key point - the likelihood of a person perceiving something anomalous is often dominated by the likelihood of the chances of the the 'thing' existing at all. E.g. all credible quantitative evidence shows that Loch Ness has no monster. Environmental DNA yields no strange species, there's no food supply to support such a creature and there certainly isn't the space/food/environment to sustain a breeding population. So the chances of there being an actual 'monster' are very very remote. Let's say '1 in a million'.

So the odds of anyone seeing the 'actual monster' have to be combined with odds of it existing at all. Which is still a very very tiny number. :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I’m convinced that there is a spiritual connection to our “world”, can someone live a life and die but only leave material footprints?
I remember well the week after my fathers passing, fishing his favourite swim on the upper Medway, I’d reeled in to stretch my legs and was standing atop the bank looking down at the river when I felt a hand upon my shoulder, l looked round expecting to see my best mate Kev who had accompanied me for the day…but there was no one there. My late father was a tactile man and that would have been something he did often…whether it be on the river bank, at home or in the pub together…
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”