Sealey? Interesting handle shape, can you help?

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Sealey? Interesting handle shape, can you help?

Post by Tengisgol »

This is almost certainly a match rod; it has a splice down at the top of the middle section, just like a Sealey Match and maybe 12-13’, but it has a very interesting handle shape.

Any thoughts anyone? And, is it a Sealey?

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Duckett
Tench

Re: Sealey? Interesting handle shape, can you help?

Post by Duckett »

Lovely looking rod. I’ve never seen a Sealey handle like that. The other thing that springs to mind is that neither the reel bands nor the alloy butt fitting look like Sealey to me. Customised during restoration? I’ve had Wal do that for me several times.

Phil :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

At the risk of getting into trouble, I am giving this a ‘bump’. The lack of responses tells me no-one has seen this handle shape before, but that does surprise me. I did wonder if it might be a dapping rod but I would have expected it to be longer, and the step-down splice is more akin to match rods I have seen.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I thought dapping rod at first too but it is reed built and I doubt it would stand up to a big fish.
Ornate handles are sometimes put on rods simply because the maker has learned how to turn cork and wishes to show off his skills but to be honest it usually detracts from the overall look.
I think it is just a spanish reed match rod customised to suit its owner.
Nothing about it says Sealey to me..

Wal.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:39 am Ornate handles are sometimes put on rods simply because the maker has learned how to turn cork and wishes to show off his skills but to be honest it usually detracts from the overall look.
I was once asked to copy that exact handle shape when making a new rod for a friend, I told him it might look a bit odd, but he insisted it was what he wanted. To my eyes it spoilt the rod, but each to his own.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:39 am I thought dapping rod at first too but it is reed built and I doubt it would stand up to a big fish.
Ornate handles are sometimes put on rods simply because the maker has learned how to turn cork and wishes to show off his skills but to be honest it usually detracts from the overall look.
I think it is just a spanish reed match rod customised to suit its owner.
Nothing about it says Sealey to me..

Wal.
The only reason I thought Sealey was because the whipping colour is very similar to that which I have seen on a lot of their rods.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”