A Fool and his Eel by M. Walsingham

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
SussexMan
Bleak

A Fool and his Eel by M. Walsingham

Post by SussexMan »

It is baffling that this book did not receive a review when launched in 2012 (...if I missed it, then I sincerely apologise...). I'm now on my 5th or 6th re-read of the book and it is a magnificent work. It is a coffee-table style hardback of 411 pages with immaculate colour photography and it is rigorously edited/proof-read.
Like many of the best angling books it is also an autobiography. Mark is a highly respected scientist and ecologist and the book traces all of the early influences on his career. As is well documented, Mark graduated from that renowned and anarchic angling university known as The Golden Scale Club and later went on to achieve everyone's pipe-dream by creating his own carp pool, now the property of the Carp Society.
The book covers deep investigations into river fishing for both coarse and trout/salmon, as well as several carp pools containing the famed Leney carp.
It is the sort of book which benefits from slow, careful reading because each chapter condenses what is clearly a long and thorough approach to each species, often covering several years at a time. Strongly recommend this book, a real object lesson in how to create a lasting and professional addition to our rich literature.

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: A Fool and his Eel by M. Walsingham

Post by Pallenpool »

It is indeed a wonderful book John. I do remember some coverage of it upon release. Nonetheless with or without a review the title suggests it’s going to be crammed with great content and be highly readable.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

There was much eulogising over this excellent book in this thread viewtopic.php?t=18529&hilit=a+fool+and+his+eel. It is worthy of every bit of praise.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Hmmmm… Six out of ten; could have done better!

But thank you for the kind words.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Nice to see you back Skeff, was it a chance visit or has your ego been pricked :Wink:

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

I have to get this book..just read Skeffs mentors book,got Cypry the carp to read later..

I realised after reading Mike Winters ,Along fisherman's paths ,what is missing from my life and that is a good angling read...

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Wandle1 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:46 pm I have to get this book..just read Skeffs mentors book,got Cypry the carp to read later..

I realised after reading Mike Winters ,Along fisherman's paths ,what is missing from my life and that is a good angling read...
Prof’s book is one of my favourites as you know Adam….👌

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Many thanks for yet another recommendation!
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

Well,I've now read Cypry the Carp,i really enjoyed that...

Just one more on my list now to read ,before angling in ernest begins ,ie the longer days ,and hopefully no rain,........ha,ha...

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Wandle1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:52 pm Well,I've now read Cypry the Carp,i really enjoyed that...

Just one more on my list now to read ,before angling in ernest begins ,ie the longer days ,and hopefully no rain,........ha,ha...
Coincidentally, Angling in Earnest by FJT was one of my favourite books when I was learning to fish….👍

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”