STRIKE BOBBINS. (Late 70's early 80's?).

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Re: STRIKE BOBBINS. (Late 70's early 80's?).

Post by Bayleaf »

I have a couple of ball shaped ones, half orange, half white. Split so can be weighted.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

As the years rolled by I tried everything... went through all sorts of indicators... Went through the whole gamut of the indicator world... most carp anglers of a certain age went through the ongoing evolution of indicators...
For myself I settled on the swinger type... they show the usual up and down movement of the bobbin but eliminate any sideways movement on windy days...
Occasionally I revert to the old washing up bottle tops in a fit of nostalgia, but they are not the best by a long way...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I certainly remember them and they bring back old memories! Were they made by Pegley Davis (PDQ) ? I remember having a matching pair at one point, lord knows what happened to them?

(I too was an avid fairy liquid bottle top user at heart. I 'customised' mine with the addition of a short length of doubled mono that would take the pinched on shot required to combat wind blow and undertow when ledgering for carp on the very much out-of-bounds estate lake that we held in such reverence it had a codename. One of our gang (who carried an unusual American enamelled ABU cantilever tackle box the likes of which I have never seen before or since) preferred to use a large lump of tinfoil that had a hooked appendage formed in it to go over his line. We nicknamed them 'baked spuds' and he gained the moniker of "Taters". That water is officially and quite strangely named "Curtains". No one has been able to plausibly explain why. It is part of Lytham Hall Estate, now held in a civic trust, with the fishing rights held by an angling club. The once very private Hall is now a public attraction, much loved by locals and visitors. You may have seen it on Antiques Roadshow or used as a backdrop for the likes of Jools Holland, Tom Jones etc etc. All these years after 'poaching' it as a school boy, I hold the dubious position of bailiff and pest controller. I have known this water now for over 90% of my living days. It is less than 10 minutes walk from my current home. A house that was chosen, in part at least, with this proximity in mind. Unfortunately the water, surrounded by old deciduous woodland, has silted up quire badly with leaf fall, has had all manner of strange fish stocked and is a magnet for cormorants. For give my ramblings please gents; it's amazing what a picture of an old familiar item can trigger in the mind :Hat:)

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I used a small broken twig on the line, much cheaper and worked like a dream until I had to strike!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Which washing up liquids did they come from?

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Deaf Cat wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:39 am I have a red one. Just make sure you tie the bottom eye to something or you will lose it on the strike!
I've used string or old fly line to tether my bobbins in the past, but I really do like the way chain behaves and hangs. Ball chain for a lighter general coarse fishing set up, and heavier curb chain when ledgering for carp.

I suppose adopting chain is a tad modern, but the washing up liquid bottle tops on my 'posh' set are a clear enough statement of my angling roots!

A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

John Milford wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:16 pm
Deaf Cat wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:39 am I have a red one. Just make sure you tie the bottom eye to something or you will lose it on the strike!
I've used string or old fly line to tether my bobbins in the past, but I really do like the way chain behaves and hangs. Ball chain for a lighter general coarse fishing set up, and heavier curb chain when ledgering for carp.

I suppose adopting chain is a tad modern, but the washing up liquid bottle tops on my 'posh' set are a clear enough statement of my angling roots!

Superb John. I like it! I've got some white cord somewhere and some spare hockey sticks.

:Hat:

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

I like a slotted wine cork on a string. To make one, first buy a bottle of wine.....

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Just reading this, and have thrown 4 bobbins away about 3 months ago - didn't know what they were for, but saved 2 fairy bottle tops. Stupid me!!

Treeman
Gudgeon

Post by Treeman »

I still use fairy liquid tops not as good as the old ones but still works
AKA Russell

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”