J B Walker Kit Rods

The J. B. Walker Rods forum.
David
Dace

J B Walker Kit Rods

Post by David »

Over the last few years I have purchased and refurbished one JBW MK1V Carp and 2 SU Carp. I have just been looking over a 2022 post concerning JBW kit rods. A question was asked do others know what companies produced the kits and also what company members thought made this kit. The thought was his kit was a JBW kit. The three kit built rods I purchased, all had different styled handles. Members stated that the shape of his rod had the same style as theirs. So, did JBW make the cork handles up before selling the kits ? because if the buyers made up their own handles, chances are they would all be different as was the case with my three rods Or had mine been subsequently rebuilt before I again rebuilt them ? I stripped all the corks off exposing a dowel section on each rod before replacing and reshaping the handles :holmes:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: J B Walker Kit Rods

Post by RBTraditional »

I’m fairly confident that JB Walker made all their own, blanks although early on Bob Southwell did play a part in helping them set up production of the MK1V and Avons and indeed making some blanks for them. The blanks were sold were sold raw, the buyer would purchase corkage, rings, whipping thread etc from them to make the rod of their choice hence that you rarely find two rods alike. I have a few JBW Avons and carp rods, they’re all different builds and for that reason along with the quality of the cane I love ‘em!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Another question on the same theme. Were all JB Walker MKIV kit rods built with the same node pattern on the cane?

Mine is unlike most and has a spiral pattern, whereas most have a stepped pattern. I'd show the difference but I don't have access to my reference book on rod making at the moment. The spiral pattern was (is) used mostly in game rods as its thought to give extra strength to the rod as no two nodes are opposite each other. I suspect mine was built to the spec of a customer or was a bit of an experiment (possibly by Southwell himself or JB Walker himself , who writes about using this pattern in his book on rod making) but this is pure conjecture, nevertheless the use of the spiral pattern does make it kind of special (circa 1956)

Another MKIV kit rod (avon) that I have suggests that some were available with two tips, an Avon and a carp (on an avon butt). Bit of mystery that one ! Mine has a carp tip, hinge and all. Otherwise it's a salmon spinning rod masquerading as a MKIV kit rod.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I’ve not heard of a JBW rod MK1V coming with two tips, especially one with an Avon butt. However Allocks did make a Carp Avon which essentially was a carp rod with a spare Avon top section… if the decals are missing on your example Trevor, maybe it a restored version? … Just a thought….

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

RBTraditional wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:53 am I’ve not heard of a JBW rod MK1V coming with two tips, especially one with an Avon butt. However Allocks did make a Carp Avon which essentially was a carp rod with a spare Avon top section… if the decals are missing on your example Trevor, maybe it a restored version? … Just a thought….
It's not a restored version, it has a tackle shop name on, I think it's 'Peeks'. I'll have a look tonight .

Hemingway

David
Dace

Post by David »

Thank you to all for responding with very valuable information about JBW kit rods. I really do appreciate it. :Hat:

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Santiago wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:03 am
RBTraditional wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:53 am I’ve not heard of a JBW rod MK1V coming with two tips, especially one with an Avon butt. However Allocks did make a Carp Avon which essentially was a carp rod with a spare Avon top section… if the decals are missing on your example Trevor, maybe it a restored version? … Just a thought….
It's not a restored version, it has a tackle shop name on, I think it's 'Peeks'. I'll have a look tonight .
Peeks were a highly respected business who retailed rods made by top builders . among them being one Ted Oliver . if you have one of his rods you have a very fine stick .Olivers silk work was exceptional and very recognisable ........ post a pic of a ring wrap if you can. :tea: G

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Gilbert wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:45 pm
Santiago wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:03 am
Peeks were a highly respected business who retailed rods made by top builders . among them being one Ted Oliver . if you have one of his rods you have a very fine stick .Olivers silk work was exceptional and very recognisable ........ post a pic of a ring wrap if you can. :tea: G
My apologies Gilbert , the rod is from a shop called P. Weekes, in Harrow, Paddington W9. The handle is 26" and the butt section looks like an avon MKIV whereas the tip section looks like its from a MKIV kit carp rod. It's all original condition apart from the tip ring which has been replaced at some time, and it looks like it my have lost a titch from the very tip.. The cork handle is also unusual as at the top it's nothing like any of the B. James versions, it's just straight, no bulge etc. whatsoever. And the rubber button is one of those pale red ones. And just to confuse matters the female ferrule looks very similar to those used by B. James (reenforced).

But it's definitely an Avon/ carp hybrid that's never been restored! I'm just surmising that it might have also originally come with an Avon tip as well as the carp tip.

Hemingway

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Couple of photos here from the 1959 JB Walker Catalogue, which may be of interest.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

My hybrid MKIV cork handle reminds me of a FT Williams that I once had. I guess it's one of those mystery rods supplied from an unknown maker as a kit for shops to put their own branding on. Possibly evidence that other makers did supply MKIV kit rods as well as JB Walker .

The cork is actually about 25".

Hemingway

Return to “J. B. Walker Cane Rods”