Vintage Folk Art Fishing Lures and Tackle.

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Vintage Folk Art Fishing Lures and Tackle.

Post by Tonytoned »

Browsing the interweb I came across what now is my latest interest and acquisition, this wonderful book Vintage Folk Art Fishing Lures and Tackle by Jeff Kieny. Which now has inspired me to collect handmade/Folk Art fishing tackle, and have ago at some Folk Arty type lures and tackle.

Crude but absolutely superb and a great historical story

I love some of the lures and tackle in this book.

My latest hand carved proscecco cork Pike bung. The urge to make it tidy is difficult, but I will try to keep making them simple, easy and functional.

More to follow.

Some earlier purchases of handmade fishing tackle

Handmade Lure/Fly box.
Post poured lead Devon Minnows.

Some handmade bequeathed pike floats

Some earlier purchased handmade floats.

Thank you for reading... Tony :Hat:

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Re: Vintage Folk Art Fishing Lures and Tackle.

Post by Rod Fisher »

Interesting stuff Tony. I like that wooden box.
I assume the stuff in the book is all American?
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Rod Fisher wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:35 pm Interesting stuff Tony. I like that wooden box.
I assume the stuff in the book is all American?
Thanks. Yes your right all American. I picked the box up in a job lot from an auction pre pandemic, before everything went online.

:Hat:

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

I found this old beauty at a car boot a few years ago.

It is a 'Spandle' - a spinner made from sheet metal and an old toothbrush or cutlery handle.

It is one of the lures conceived and popularised by Charles Thurlow Craig, author of The Spinner's Delight (1951) and The Baitmaker's Delight (1953).

This great old folk art Colorado spoon is another from my collection. I love the humour of the stamped lettering.

A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

John Milford wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:02 pm I found this old beauty at a car boot a few years ago.

It is a 'Spandle' - a spinner made from sheet metal and an old toothbrush or cutlery handle.

It is one of the lures conceived and popularised by Charles Thurlow Craig, author of The Spinner's Delight (1951) and The Baitmaker's Delight (1953).

This great old folk art Colorado spoon is another from my collection. I love the humour of the stamped lettering.

Thank you John.
That's what I like about these lures, using everyday and what materials were at hand. Thanks for the heads up on Charles Thurlow Craig. The spoon is superb. I'm beginning to look at Fish and duck decoys too.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Tonytoned wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:14 pm
Thank you John.
That's what I like about these lures, using everyday and what materials were at hand. Thanks for the heads up on Charles Thurlow Craig. The spoon is superb. I'm beginning to look at Fish and duck decoys too.

Charles Thurlow Craig is a fascinating character and author. Someone who led an absurdley adventurous life in his younger days (combatant in foreign civil wars, MI5 agent, sharp-shooting cowboy in South America etc., etc!). He is also a renowned author on matters such as horsemanship and what we now call 'bushcraft'.

I've only read the fishing books from his later, settled life but I keep a casual eye out for his wider works.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Here's another favourite of mine. Judging by the late-issue King George VI stamps on it's box, it dates from 1951-52.

I have a firm story in mind that it was a humurous 'going away present', gifted at Christmas, to a young man about to embark on a long sea journey or posting to the Southern hemisphere. That extra detail must have come from the seller, as there was only a brief message in the box.

The care that went into the making of the huge lure - and the obvious sentiment behind it - is something I find very touching. It's a truly marvelous object.

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

I don’t know if these count as folk art, but the walnut float was made by Tonkin wand for me. I’ve not tried it. He spent a lot of time working on it and told me that he got through quite a few walnuts before completing one without cracks.
The other two floats are whimsical designs of quill and two hundred year old bone. The latter pieces being the remains of broken bits of Napoleonic toys that were kept in a tin.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

John Milford wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:57 pm Here's another favourite of mine. Judging by the late-issue King George VI stamps on it's box, it dates from 1951-52.

I have a firm story in mind that it was a humurous 'going away present', gifted at Christmas, to a young man about to embark on a long sea journey or posting to the Southern hemisphere. That extra detail must have come from the seller, as there was only a brief message in the box.

The care that went into the making of the huge lure - and the obvious sentiment behind it - is something I find very touching. It's a truly marvelous object.

Amazing John, they are superb like a massive Devon Minnow, and the story that makes these sorts of things endearing. I have ordered both Spinners Delight and Baitmaker's Delight. So I look forward to reading them.

I am enjoying seeing some of your collection. Everyday is a learning day.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Cane wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:17 pm Image
I don’t know if these count as folk art, but the walnut float was made by Tonkin wand for me. I’ve not tried it. He spent a lot of time working on it and told me that he got through quite a few walnuts before completing one without cracks.
The other two floats are whimsical designs of quill and two hundred year old bone. The latter pieces being the remains of broken bits of Napoleonic toys that were kept in a tin.
They look great Cane. I have read or seen about lures or floats being made from Walnuts. I shall check the book again. What I find is the stories and history so interesting.

Thank you. :Hat:

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”