ID and advice needed...

An area to discuss your cane fishing poles.
Aitch
Pike

ID and advice needed...

Post by Aitch »

Thanks to Bobthefloat (Terry) I am the happy recipient of an unidentified pole/rod...
It is a 5 section pole ( haven't had a measure up yet) and is a weighty beggar, it seems to be quite old and the colours are rich and dark... possibly quite old.

It seems to have been the subject of quite a few modifications over its life... notably the addition of reel fittings and some snake rings on the bottom 3 sections and tip, of the pole (see pictures)
ImageImageImage

The second section is also fitted with a huge brass counterweight which screws into the bottom of the male ferrule
ImageImageImage
The ferrules and fitting are brass with no makers names
Its entirely possible that it is sections of 2 poles/rods that have been married together...

As it is, its not in a usable condition as the tip section ferrule is incredibly loose and will not stay in the female ferrule. It also has a loose ferrule on one of the other section (no3)
I would like to have it refurbished as a pole (not a rod) it seems to be made of mainly spanish reed, as there are no visible nodes on the sections, the bottom section seems to be made of wood (Ash possibly..?) A look through Michael Nadells Poles Apart yields no clues...

The reel metalwork seems to have been added later in its life as the whipping threads are thicker than the others and the reel bands were fitted and soldered/brazed/ pinned into place

Does anyone have any ideas as to this pole's origins or maker...?
Any info or advice would be useful

Thanks

Aitch
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

JW1
Grayling

Re: ID and advice needed...

Post by JW1 »

No idea of the origins Aitch but would make awesome drumsticks! :Ok: :Scared:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Bit long John...😛

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Are the brass threaded parts 3/8" BSF?
Only I've seen weights similar to that on pool cues?
The rings and reel fittings would suggest first 1/4 of the 20th century, certainly a Interesting pole and part of its charm will be trying to unravel its history. :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Hi Aitch I checked this out for Terry with Michael Nadel and having looked at the photos in detail he’s fairly certain that it’s not a Sowerbutts… :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

As far as I can tell it's 5/8ths, not sure on pitch as its quite coarse and I'm not versed in the dark arts...😉

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

RBTraditional wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:18 pm Hi Aitch I checked this out for Terry with Michael Nadel and having looked at the photos in detail he’s fairly certain that it’s not a Sowerbutts… :Hat:
I was pretty sure its not a Sowerbutts, as he usually marked the end caps on his poles, if not with his name then with the shop address...

As it sits, its not usable so I'll have to have to try and get it tidied up and faults remedied at the least...

Going by the somewhat naive additions its probably had a few guises in its life and is no longer original...
With this in mind, I'll probably have it sympathetically refurbished as a pole, but I don't want to lose that rich dark colour

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I agree entirely with you wanting to retain that rich colour…. I bet that old girl has seen a life and could tell a few stories if it could talk….
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

RBTraditional wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:39 pm I agree entirely with you wanting to retain that rich colour…. I bet that old girl has seen a life and could tell a few stories if it could talk….
The problem is the varnish is very crinkly and sticky in some places, so could be an issue... not all the sections are the same colour either, further reinforcing the notion that it could be a bitsa

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Aitch wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:48 pm
RBTraditional wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:39 pm I agree entirely with you wanting to retain that rich colour…. I bet that old girl has seen a life and could tell a few stories if it could talk….
The problem is the varnish is very crinkly and sticky in some places, so could be an issue... not all the sections are the same colour either, further reinforcing the notion that it could be a bitsa
I recently made some bags for a couple of Sowerbutts poles and the older one of the two had different colour 1st and 2nd sections.Image
I suppose it would be whatever was available at the time.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Cane Fishing Poles”