Todd's tackle shop

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Treeman
Gudgeon

Todd's tackle shop

Post by Treeman »

Although I live in North Yorkshire now and a resident for nearly 40yrs, I'm originally from south London I was a member of my local fishing club based at Todd's tackle shop in Lee Green, I loved this shop and Mr Todd who owned it in the late 60's and early 70's when I was a youngster, he taught me how to fish and moreover patience when I catch the smell a box of maggots it takes me straight back great memories.
AKA Russell

John Milford
Grayling

Re: Todd's tackle shop

Post by John Milford »

Todd's was the first tackle shop I ever set foot in, in the 1960s, and where my twin brother and I were bought our first ever rods and reels (10 ft, 3 peice cane with glass tips and K. P. Morritts 'Tru Spin' reels).

The smell! A pungent cocktail of gentles and the linseed oil dressing on the new, bright yellow, knotted cotton meshed keepnets!

Toddy himself was a short, stocky fellow, shirtsleeves always rolled up and with dark, Brylcreemed hair if I remember correctly? A mine of information too, although of the 'heavy' school in his tackle recommendations.

When my Dad mentioned we were off on a holiday to fish the Hampshire Avon, he sold us some monstrous cork-on-quill floats, big enough to moor a small boat to! :Chuckle:
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Treeman
Gudgeon

Post by Treeman »

That's great John he was a stocky man and yes "heavy school" was spot on 😂 I got my waders from him with hobnail bottoms big thick stud's mind you I never slipped in them we all sounded like storm troopers walking from the coach to the river banks 😳😁
AKA Russell

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Treeman wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:43 am Although I live in North Yorkshire now and a resident for nearly 40yrs, I'm originally from south London I was a member of my local fishing club based at Todd's tackle shop in Lee Green, I loved this shop and Mr Todd who owned it in the late 60's and early 70's when I was a youngster, he taught me how to fish and moreover patience when I catch the smell a box of maggots it takes me straight back great memories.
Thank goodness there is a couple of TTF's who remember Todds Tackle in Lee green.
I loved that old shop and was a regular not just in fishing but a local gun shop were I could get my Eley cartages in all gage's from 9mm to 12 g ( Todd no doubt would stock the lot)
He always had time for me and what a nice man.
Your right... short and stocky sometimes weteing his brown twill overall.
I posted about his shop a few years ago.
I'm so pleased you remember him and the shop.
First response.....
My post a few years ago....

viewtopic.php?p=327873#p327873

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Treeman
Gudgeon

Post by Treeman »

I'm so glad also Mr B that shop was the place to go then, great memories.
AKA Russell

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”