Dinton Pastuers.

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Dinton Pastuers.

Post by Santiago »

A few of you might have read today's BBC News, in Regions, in Berkshire. This chap recently caught back in December a 60lb plus proper home grown carp that was stocked there back in the early ninetees, and just a few pounds off the record

Apparently, Dinton pastures has a nice friendly local atmosphere, so I just hope the publicity won't ruin it. For I forsee hoards of carpers trying to fish there in the summer months when this carps weight may well be higher than the existing record (an import from Europe). So if you're reading this and fancy a go, please think twice and perhaps stay away. Fishing isn't about records!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Re: Dinton Pastuers.

Post by Barbelbonce »

Santiago: thanks for publishing this piece of good news about a large, "natural" British fish (rather than an import at several tens of pounds from East of the Mediterranean!). It makes a change from other stuff online about large fish.....
A brief, good article from BBC Berks, told without over-dramatisation.
I thought it might be helpful to provide the link, for ease of access to the Forum's members:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cpv66ed77nqo
Members here are sensible and will not be rushing off to Dinton Pastures come spawning season, so I have no qualms about putting it up here.
Thanks for the knowledge,
Mike

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Post by Caractacus Potts »

It's a syndicate water.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Cracking linear but too heavy for my shoulders so I won't be applying for a syndicate place :Happy:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Although 'day tickets' are available - - - - ""Please note that due to the lengthy waiting time of approximately 4-6 years, the Black Swan, White Swan and GOLD waiting lists have been closed for the foreseeable future.""

I wonder how much it will cost next season!

Not too far from Wellington Country Park where I understand the waiting list is even longer!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Another closed off lake in that local is Berewood College lake, which is now fished by the Red Spinners Club. Luckily for me a good friend of mine is in the club and some months ago suggested we go this year. I'm just waiting for the phone call when he gets his fishing mojo back from decorating his daughters bedroom :Chuckle: .

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Dinton Pastuers is right next to the river Loddon which enters the Thames downstream of Sonning. With the most recent flooding in the area quite a few of those Dinton carp may well now be in the Thames, as will lots from a big carp lake called Sonning Eye and an adjacent area of this like that has been referred to as Area 52 which is a private syndicate lake where a potential Thames carp record was caught a few years ago had it not been caught out of the river season.

Anyways, this summer might be the summer to do a bit of Thames carp fishing. There's always many more unknowns after big winter floods :Chuckle: .

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It is Bearwood Lake - - owned by Reading FC. Limited boat fishing only. No Guests.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Olly wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:48 pm It is Bearwood Lake - - owned by Reading FC. Limited boat fishing only. No Guests.
So it is. My friend told me that he can take one guest from this January and that The Red Spinners were allowed to fish there as from last January 2023 but with no guests until 2024. I'll double check with him next time I see him .

The estate was previously owned by the Walter family who started the Times newspaper but they had to sell it when they lost their fortune . Coincidentally, I work with one of the Walters who often retells the tale of his families lost fortunes .

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

TFF fish-in maybe?

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”