Woolworths cane rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Woolworths cane rod

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I was searching the memory about this photo. Eagle Specimen group pike fishing the Hollow Ponds Leytonstone in the mid 60s

And the heavy duty Woolworths cane rod, The red cane rod with metal ferrules. The ferrules often had to be straightened after casting half a herring to the far island.

It was reasonable stuff and survived our mis treatment
received_1273500653049741.jpeg
ent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Re: Woolworths cane rod

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

I thought I remembered it having a red split-cane butt section and a white solid-glass tip? I know I straightened it out for you a few times!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Tony.J.Newman wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:54 am I thought I remembered it having a red split-cane butt section and a white solid-glass tip? I know I straightened it out for you a few times!
I think your memory is better than mine! I remember phoning my Dad from the box on the main road to take a photo of a pike. I dragged him and his camera round much of Essex

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

I also remember the day you had two pike from that swim. Two rods out, the afore mentioned ‘beast’ and your Milbro Carpmaster. Luckily, both came on the Carpmaster. Hate to think what state the other rod would have been in after those fights!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Tony.J.Newman wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:57 pm I also remember the day you had two pike from that swim. Two rods out, the afore mentioned ‘beast’ and your Milbro Carpmaster. Luckily, both came on the Carpmaster. Hate to think what state the other rod would have been in after those fights!
I think my next error was to buy those yellow horror blanks from Grieffs. John Read tried hard not to sell them to me- but I had decided!
I sold them after a year- I am sure the new owner took them to Dungeness and enjoyed firing out an 8oz lead and a multi lugworm rig for cod

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”