Eagle Pond Snaresbrook London

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Re: Eagle Pond Snaresbrook London

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

MWithell wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:52 pm
Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:18 am
MWithell wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:45 am A great picture and a very nice carp from the days when it was an exceptional fish.
to be honest about my priorities- June 16 was also the day of my english O level. I rushed through the test and shoved my hand up to be released early. And then up to the Eagle.
Somehow I managed to pass with a decent grade
I caught my first double-figure carp on 16 June 1976 before an O level in the afternoon. 10lb 13oz common at about 5am on bread from the Diana fountain pond in Bushy Park, near Hampton Court. Oh, and I got a B in the exam too.
the loss of the close season was a major removal of the excitement. I fed a spot for three weeks before Jun 16- the solid weed started to reach the surface on the 14th!

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Was it Highlands Park up that way somewhere? We caught pike everytime we went there but only small.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Tizer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:22 pm Was it Highlands Park up that way somewhere? We caught pike everytime we went there but only small.
Highams park nr Wanstead
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Aitch wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:38 pm
Tizer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:22 pm Was it Highlands Park up that way somewhere? We caught pike everytime we went there but only small.
Highams park nr Wanstead

first sightings of the green parakeets that now are common across London.

my first ever fishing session. My Dad came up to see how we were doing-he had stopped to buy me a keep net from Bearmans. I remember the smell of the treated string.

my first view of dinghy sailing which was to become an important part of my life

missed the pike though!
Last edited by Ian.R.McDonald on Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I'm enjoying this Ian, keep 'em coming.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

When the school closed there were security guards on site whilst the conversion to crown court was made. The guards were relaxed about us fishing the private side. Their German Shepherds were VERY fierce. The guard keenest on fishing had the biggest dog. He tied it to a sleeper sized bit of wood he came to chat. I stepped back when I saw the dog coming at me dragging wood behind.

our fishing hero Dereck Stritton wrote an article in Anglers Mail about slow inching of deadbait for pike
sounded good so went straight up to the Eagle private bank. Got a twitch straight away- heard someone creeping up behind me. It was Dereck! and he didnt sneer when I owned up to leaving my wire snips behind- the barbless single fell out on the bank

After a long night and wet day, the Eagle Specimen Group fancied a chinese meal in the warm. we stepped in " You no come in!- You got fishy boots!" oh well

Early autumn pike fishing, float fished deadbait. strange twitch bite and stranger fight. Then the largest eel we had ever seen surfaced. Only one word of my reaction is typeable- it was " record" it wasnt😁

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

How about the butcher’s delivery boy who managed to cycle off the pavement in to Eagle whilst visiting his mates! All his meats etc sank, he legged it with the bike and never went back to that job!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Tony.J.Newman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:07 pm How about the butcher’s delivery boy who managed to cycle off the pavement in to Eagle whilst visiting his mates! All his meats etc sank, he legged it with the bike and never went back to that job!
having spent most of our teenage life sat on that busy traffic pavement- I suspect our lead levels may be high. But wasnt it fun!

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

Don’t know about lead levels but I think my bad backaches might have something to do with sitting on the concrete surround in all weathers! Especially when piking in the winter, our footprints would instantly freeze on the pavement when getting out of the water to set our rod rests etc!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

20201110_114037.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”